- Sports Today: clash of heavyweights
- Felipe Massa Grand Prix favourite?
- The best spins of the news week
- Flu season hitting early this year?
- How will credit changes affect you?
- Late doctors should give discounts?
- Sydney's worst traffic snarl spots?
- Ian Roberts: the effects of concussion
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Cleangirl on Buy local: vote with your wallet New car buyers cringed at buying an Australian car, so I`m glad they`ll at least buy Australian fruit from Coca-Cola Amital. more
- David Hoffman on Is terrorism behind missing plane? I am looking at this event through the lens of being a lifelong student of human behaviour. I know enough to believe that, ... more
- Gary on Too late to stop climate change now? I simply let the facts talk to me and as Garry Linnell stated it was warmer 27 years ago. So where is the evidence of ... more
- helen on Scrap the My School website? Hello Angela, have just read Peter 'Fitz' remarks re your morning show. Agree! you are a delight to tune into each ... more
- David T. on Do we still need a Women's Day? In my experience, every day is Women's Day. more
- David T. on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? How "bloody" stupid. Government, stay out of our lives. more
- David T. on Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali Break another country's laws and you can expect to be treated according to their law. I have no sympathy for thede ... more
- Rod M on Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali To me it seems very clear why journos are being booted out of Bali. Their courts expect people to abide by the spirit and ... more
- Mary on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? What a waste of the tax payers money, why not give it to hospitals... they need it more. more
- Kimber on Scrap the My School website? Well said @Coasty!!! :) more
- Kimber on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? OMG, pay people to lose weight, pay people to quit smoking, now this.From the time kids can eat solid food fruit and ... more
- Jester4212 on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? Why why why must the govenrment become involved?! Even for parents to pay their children to do this is unbelieveable. They ... more
- Coasty on Scrap the My School website? Ridiculous. I'm now finding the teaching industry has gotten hysterical & political. The My Schools website was one of the ... more
- Jester4212 on A pizza stuffed with cheeseburgers? I can't believe what I'm watching. Disgusting. more
- William Coleman on Drugs & alcohol affecting our schools The classroom today is yesterdays psychiatric ward. more
- William Coleman on Chinese buying up Sydney housing? So the big money comes to oz and home prices soar .Meanwhile we buy products from Asian countries because it is so cheap due ... more
- Jester4212 on Should we pay people to lose weight? Cold hard cash is a complete cop-out, just like the baby bonus. I'm all for wanting to help these people out. But have ... more
- Greg O on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Of course Kevin will stop the war and I have no doubt he will also help the Russians tackle global warming by putting pink ... more
- Coasty on Sydney's outbreak of ablutophobia No-one minds backpackers. They're great. I was one & I want my kids to do it. The problem here, is one that's all too ... more
- Cleangirl on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Kevin ? Twins sharing the same name. Why is he allowed in with the U.N ? Why do we even financially support both Kevin and ... more
Disadvantaged deserve more respect
Welfare groups say Families Minister Jenny Macklin is out of touch as she continues to maintain she could survive on the dole. Tim Webster on government waste, and treating disadvantaged with a little more respect.
Welfare groups are confident they can still force the Gillard Government to reverse its decision to reduce parenting payments
About 80,000 single parents will be moved from the Newstart allowance and on to the dole in a bid to save $700-million.
The Government has defended the move, with Families Minister Jenny Macklin declaring she could survive on $35 a day.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Greens MP Adam Bandt has defended a stunt to live on the dole for a week in protest at a Federal Government changes to parenting payments
About 80,000 single parents will be switched to the Newstart allowance in a bid to save a little over $700-million.
Families Minister Jenny Macklin, who earns almost $1000 a week, says she could live on $35 a day.
Adam Bandt has told Tim and Tracey that's clearly not the case and dole payment needs to be higher.
HOW MUCH FEDERAL FAMILIES MINISTER JENNY MACKLIN EARNS:
$328,698 annual cabinet minister's salary
$6321 per week
$903 per day
(Source: Parliamentary remuneration and entitlements, August 17, 2012)
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR $903 PER DAY:
One night at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, Club Deluxe King room, $575, plus $280 Ladies Pamper Package
Degustation experience at top Melbourne restaurant, Vue de Monde, $250 per person. Matching wines $15-$25 extra per course
1996 Hyundai Sonata GLE with 220,000km, $700 (carsales.com.au)
Zone 1 myki pass valid for 210 days, $903
Melbourne Cricket Club entry membership, $900
Taxi ride from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga, NSW, $880 (Taxi Fare Calculator)
Six family passes to Luna Park Melbourne, $816 (AAP)
Families Minister Jenny Macklin is in damage control after claiming she could live on the dole but having it taken off a transcript. She has come out again, maintaining she could live on the $35 a day allowance anyway.
Australia Test cricketer Mike Hussey has announced he'll retire after the third Test against Sri Lanka in Sydney. Stuart Bocking catches up with Mr Cricket and reflects on how he'd like to be remembered.