- Baird shows huge political courage
- Still cook to Nana's recipes?
- Guy Sebastian is back with Madness
- Halal certification funding terrorists?
- Too much lack of respect these days?
- Eddie Obeid set to face court
- Would you prefer to vote online
- Can you ever trust a politician?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Julie on Would you prefer to vote online In Canberra we already have electronic voting for ACT Elections. After allegations of electoral fraud in the last election, ... more
- Cleangirl on SBS want more commercials? SBS and the ABC should not be receiving any taxpayer funding till they stop the Left-wing, Political Correctness and ... more
- Cleangirl on $250m better spent on hospitals? If they can pay players extraordinary amounts of money, they can pay for the upgrade. Tax is for roads, hospitals, public ... more
- Kimber on Sydney brothers off to fight with IS IS are a pathetic disgrace to humanity, all they do is murder other Muslims and abduct and slaughter aid workers who carry ... more
- Robert on Free Trade: will we all benefit So called 'free trade' is a device to allow foreign multinationals to come into a country and consolidate power for the ... more
- Kimber on Qantas goes 70's retro on aircraft Love it, goes to show that some things can go back to the 'good old days'. :) more
- Tony on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Obama going about with his usual dog and pony show to a bunch of gullible morons. Obama is hated in his own country but ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Prime Minister Tony Abbott should of informed the US President Barack Hussein Obama that the planet has been cooling for the ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Free Trade: will we all benefit Evidently, a select few at the top of the heap are greatly $benefiting from so called "free trade"? Australia used to be a ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Another nonsense raised by Obama about so called climate change. Evidently, Rudd and/or Gillard have been in his ear at the ... more
- Greg O on Obama urges Australia to "step up" I am out in my backyard at the moment and am all set to save the environment. I have a Jim's Mowing hat, Steve Irwin shirt ... more
- Samuel J on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Just more nonsense from Obama who is tarred with the same brush as our two failures, Rudd and Gillard. Money, taxes etc will ... more
- Rod on Turn back the (Russian) boats RE: Why doesn't America send four warships of theirs and place them next to Russia's?I think the answer to this (possibly ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Obama urges Australia to "step up" @President Obama - what a bloody nonsense you are on about here with this climate change rot. You have evidently been imbued ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Obama urges Australia to "step up" China is having big problems with Muslims, can they send 500,000 troops? more
- Vic Whiteley on Fun police end Mexican themed party What is the definition of racist?Last time I checked, the majority of Mexicans are of Spanish heritage....which means ... more
- Jester4212 on Bike smart hat answer to registration Is this the answer to more accountable cyclists? No. This will make it more dangerous for cyclists. You can guarantee ... more
- Peter on Bike smart hat answer to registration Regardless of initial 'feeling's' towards this helmet, the shape, attachment of any external 'plate' and external ... more
- Craig on Turn back the (Russian) boats @Maurice, Why?In case you have been blinded by some loyalty to America have you not noticed how many wars they start? And ... more
- Clayton on Bike smart hat answer to registration Falling off wearing that helmet would almost certainly break your neck! It would pass no standards Australia test ever! What ... more
Gillard's Gonski education 'crusade'
The Gillard government's new national schools reforms want to lift Australian students into the top 5 countries in the world for education. Jason Morrison questions where the funding will come from.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
The government plans to lift the global ranking of the nation's education system to the top five by 2025 and adopt a new benchmark Schooling Resource Standard for students.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has outlined a new $6.5-billion funding model which would see schools paid on a per-student basis from 2014.
Schools would also be forced to show they are improving reading, science and maths skills of their students in a bid to win extra money.
Ian 'Dicko' Dickson with 2UE Chief Political Correspondent Michael Pachi on the plans being outlined and questions where the money will be coming from.
The Gillard Government says it has a ''once in a generation'' opportunity to support the education needs of every student in the country.
Federal Education Minister Peter Garrett has confirmed the Government plans to adopt a new school funding model that will see a benchmark amount for each student, and additional loadings for students who face disadvantage.
Mr Garrett tells 2UE's John Stanley the new scheme would be more equitable.
Teachers and Principals have mostly welcomed the Government's plan, but argue the Commonwealth needs to stump-up most money, which will be a reversal from the current system.
Prime Minister Gillard wouldn't be drawn on funding arrangements, other than to say she'll lead talks with the states to reach a new agreement from 2014.
Former 2UE broadcaster and former Shadow Education Minister Stephen O'Doherty reveals to John Stanley why he likes the proposal and the vision it shows for all schools.
The Australian Education Union says the federal government should cover the lion's share of the new with the NSW government echoing a similiar sentiment.
The Greens say they will seek to amend new laws to make the educational targets more ambitious in order to lift overall standards.
The independent schools sector says it's happy to continue working with the government on school funding reforms and how they'll be implemented. (AAP)
Jason Morrison reveals how cameras on the morning a mongrel decided to mount the Cenotaph were not working as they should. Is it a sign there needs to be a change of direction at town hall this election?
Liberal State Senator Bill Heffernan says the Gillard Government's sale of Cubbie Station to a Chinese-led consortium is a bad deal. He tells John Stanley the company has roots in the Chinese Government.
As a dinky Di Aussie I cannot understand how or why anyone would vote for the LaborParty. Failed roof bats; resulted in the deaths of four young Aussies; Carbon Tax- ." there will be no carbon tax under the government I lead " What a mess with electricity prices going through the roof; Boat people- opening Nahru without temporary visas; they still keep coming and recieve Centrelink benefits which exceed those received by our own Age Pensioners. Government debt in the bilions after inheriting a surplus of (?) $billions from the previous government which our children and maybe grandchildren will have to repay. Now a mining Tax which may well be sending Aussie jobs overseas. As for those Traitors Windsor and Oakshot, words fail me except to say I will
Be glad to see both of them annihilated at the next Federal Election at which I trust Australians will engage brain before casting their votes.John M Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 8:37 PM
How on earth could anyone still vote Labor?? They would have to be so damned stupid. Liberal at least do offer some hope while Labor are a dead loss. Liberal need to get back to the very basics and genuinely look after Aussies, Australian sovereignty first and foremost. Liberal need to make this crystal clear in the coming election campaign, because there are some very suspicious Liberal characters, no names need mentioning who are really not Liberal and are deeply Labor/Green and they do not give a fig about Australians. Tony Abbott needs to get troubled Australia "relaxed and comfortable" once again, just like the honest patriot John Howard did for us. Traitorous and anti-Australia, Labor have made Australia very nervous and stressed with absolutely no future with Labor.Michael Harrison Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 5:24 PM
All you ungrateful whinging sexist bigoted Australians, please note; Juliar skillfully managed to just avoid dangerous anthropogenic global warming, giving us Labor's fantastic carbon dioxide tax, she just avoided the European/US financial crisis, she gladly scrapped temporary protection visas/closed Nauru and revolutionized migration and border unprotection, bringing in the illegals, she personally led the rorted Building Education Revolution and the fatal chinese pink batts scheme, stuffed up the hospitals and dentists need I go on, she led the world in cash $Billion dollar donations to our enemies while ignoring our poor, she has borrowed and wasted about $300 BILLION Dollars from china and says we are the envy of the world, she watched grocery and fuel prices skyrocket out of control and arranged for us to be clean and green with the worlds dearest electricity prices, need I go on, she improved chinese relations selling off the farm with lots of our jobs gone to china etc, etc you ungratefulls should all say thank you, Juliar!!Joey Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 5:00 PM
Alex you are probably one of those people that voted labour in the first place and then decided to un-vote labour am I correct?luke Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 4:56 PM
Well dumb boy steve, easy fixed just you stop voting for Juliar/Labor.Alex Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 4:27 PM
I'm so sick of seeing her talk... WHY WHY WHY AUSTRALIA!!
Why have we let this pathetic politician guide our country to a drain hole.Wise Man Steve Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 10:25 AM