- Why do we have tongue twisters?
- Health system needs a checkup?
- Malcolm Fraser on Nelson Mandela
- Mandela was a giant, and a man!
- Nelson Mandela changed the era
- Sydney 500: Mark Skaife on 2UE
- Tributes flow for Nelson Mandela
- Would you pay $580 for the Stones?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- ricky on Malcolm Fraser on Nelson Mandela When he was in prison i protested outside south africa house in London.GREAT MAN.All politicians should learn from him.RIP ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Lingerie football: is it sexist? I may become a convert to league if my wife lets me!I'm not into watching men play with each other. more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? @ ahmed, are you are part of the misinformation society, haven't you been listening to the court reports on the radio about ... more
- ahmed on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? Most bikie gangs are made up of anglo saxons, yet we dont say European Bikie gangs.Not sure if this geographical ... more
- ahmed on Crime in Sydney funding jihadists? No doubt there is a link.However dont use that as an excuse to demonize lebanese Aussies like some people do ... more
- Jester4212 on Lingerie football: is it sexist? Saying that it's sexist is like saying that bikinis are sexist. What a load of rubbish!Think of it as a group of women ... more
- Stephen Jago on Lingerie football: is it sexist? No it is not sexist. They do play hard and my 16 year old son loves watching it lol. :-) more
- Keith A Tudor on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? I trust Mr Abbott will set up a high powered public inquiry with a view to abolishing the hopeless CSIRO and creation of a ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? What no mention of the Middle Eastern Crime Squad? more
- Jonathon L Benson on ICAC: Chris Hartcher quits energy This, in my professional view, is the beginning of the end of the utterly hopeless O'Farrell government in NSW. Just ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Aussie students are falling behind? @Lis posting here - you are absolutely correct. I clearly recall a joker in the 1990's who was knocked back for entry into ... more
- Samuel J on Backflip on backflip over Gonski? @Craig - absolutely correct. The abject, disgraceful rotten mess that Gillard and Rudd the Dudd left the new Coalition ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Aussie students are falling behind? This reported outcome says a lot in regard to policies and practice pertaining to teacher selection, education, training and ... more
- James W on Aussie students are falling behind? A child's most important teacher/s are it's parents. more
- Jester4212 on Cyclists need you to leave a metre? @Bikinis. Riding against the traffic is without a doubt the worst idea and will definitely contribute to more fatalities. ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Aussie students are falling behind? Another fine mess Australian kids are in! more
- Liz on Aussie students are falling behind? Our sub-standard teaching workforce is damaging the future of this country. A large number of teachers are inarticulate, ... more
- Amy on Aussie students are falling behind? If the teacher can not use a red pen to mark their work because it is too confrontational and they can never be FAILED and ... more
- Peter on Aussie students are falling behind? Doesn't matter how much money you throw at the education system! The student will only be as good as the teacher,teaching ... more
- Jester4212 on Handbook for men on women? This book sounds disgustingly stereotypical for both sexes. I really don't think this lady has a clue. more
Gillard's Gonski education 'crusade'
The Gillard government's new national schools reforms want to lift Australian students into the top 5 countries in the world for education. Jason Morrison questions where the funding will come from.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
The government plans to lift the global ranking of the nation's education system to the top five by 2025 and adopt a new benchmark Schooling Resource Standard for students.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has outlined a new $6.5-billion funding model which would see schools paid on a per-student basis from 2014.
Schools would also be forced to show they are improving reading, science and maths skills of their students in a bid to win extra money.
Ian 'Dicko' Dickson with 2UE Chief Political Correspondent Michael Pachi on the plans being outlined and questions where the money will be coming from.
The Gillard Government says it has a ''once in a generation'' opportunity to support the education needs of every student in the country.
Federal Education Minister Peter Garrett has confirmed the Government plans to adopt a new school funding model that will see a benchmark amount for each student, and additional loadings for students who face disadvantage.
Mr Garrett tells 2UE's John Stanley the new scheme would be more equitable.
Teachers and Principals have mostly welcomed the Government's plan, but argue the Commonwealth needs to stump-up most money, which will be a reversal from the current system.
Prime Minister Gillard wouldn't be drawn on funding arrangements, other than to say she'll lead talks with the states to reach a new agreement from 2014.
Former 2UE broadcaster and former Shadow Education Minister Stephen O'Doherty reveals to John Stanley why he likes the proposal and the vision it shows for all schools.
The Australian Education Union says the federal government should cover the lion's share of the new with the NSW government echoing a similiar sentiment.
The Greens say they will seek to amend new laws to make the educational targets more ambitious in order to lift overall standards.
The independent schools sector says it's happy to continue working with the government on school funding reforms and how they'll be implemented. (AAP)
Jason Morrison reveals how cameras on the morning a mongrel decided to mount the Cenotaph were not working as they should. Is it a sign there needs to be a change of direction at town hall this election?
Liberal State Senator Bill Heffernan says the Gillard Government's sale of Cubbie Station to a Chinese-led consortium is a bad deal. He tells John Stanley the company has roots in the Chinese Government.
As a dinky Di Aussie I cannot understand how or why anyone would vote for the LaborParty. Failed roof bats; resulted in the deaths of four young Aussies; Carbon Tax- ." there will be no carbon tax under the government I lead " What a mess with electricity prices going through the roof; Boat people- opening Nahru without temporary visas; they still keep coming and recieve Centrelink benefits which exceed those received by our own Age Pensioners. Government debt in the bilions after inheriting a surplus of (?) $billions from the previous government which our children and maybe grandchildren will have to repay. Now a mining Tax which may well be sending Aussie jobs overseas. As for those Traitors Windsor and Oakshot, words fail me except to say I will
Be glad to see both of them annihilated at the next Federal Election at which I trust Australians will engage brain before casting their votes.John M Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 8:37 PM
How on earth could anyone still vote Labor?? They would have to be so damned stupid. Liberal at least do offer some hope while Labor are a dead loss. Liberal need to get back to the very basics and genuinely look after Aussies, Australian sovereignty first and foremost. Liberal need to make this crystal clear in the coming election campaign, because there are some very suspicious Liberal characters, no names need mentioning who are really not Liberal and are deeply Labor/Green and they do not give a fig about Australians. Tony Abbott needs to get troubled Australia "relaxed and comfortable" once again, just like the honest patriot John Howard did for us. Traitorous and anti-Australia, Labor have made Australia very nervous and stressed with absolutely no future with Labor.Michael Harrison Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 5:24 PM
All you ungrateful whinging sexist bigoted Australians, please note; Juliar skillfully managed to just avoid dangerous anthropogenic global warming, giving us Labor's fantastic carbon dioxide tax, she just avoided the European/US financial crisis, she gladly scrapped temporary protection visas/closed Nauru and revolutionized migration and border unprotection, bringing in the illegals, she personally led the rorted Building Education Revolution and the fatal chinese pink batts scheme, stuffed up the hospitals and dentists need I go on, she led the world in cash $Billion dollar donations to our enemies while ignoring our poor, she has borrowed and wasted about $300 BILLION Dollars from china and says we are the envy of the world, she watched grocery and fuel prices skyrocket out of control and arranged for us to be clean and green with the worlds dearest electricity prices, need I go on, she improved chinese relations selling off the farm with lots of our jobs gone to china etc, etc you ungratefulls should all say thank you, Juliar!!Joey Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 5:00 PM
Alex you are probably one of those people that voted labour in the first place and then decided to un-vote labour am I correct?luke Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 4:56 PM
Well dumb boy steve, easy fixed just you stop voting for Juliar/Labor.Alex Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 4:27 PM
I'm so sick of seeing her talk... WHY WHY WHY AUSTRALIA!!
Why have we let this pathetic politician guide our country to a drain hole.Wise Man Steve Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 10:25 AM