- It's Time: Heralded era of new politics
- Anger at teen jihadist's threats
- Aussie Jihadist's threat to PM
- The Whisper: Waste at Tafe
- Malcolm Fraser's tribute to Gough
- Gough Whitlam: a giant of our time
- Time to help out Ebola regions?
- Too young for homework?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Laura on Accident hotspot: northern beaches Shocking, and thoughts go out to those personally affected; speedy recovery all. But let's have a proper (timely ... more
- Yusuf on Aussie Jihadist's threat to PM Brain washed idiots. Lock them up and leave them there for life. more
- yusuf on Tributes flow for Gough Whitlam A man of real substance. My condolences to his family. more
- Yusuf on The Whisper: where burqa ban began Australia has its own values and freedoms and does not have to follow other countries. There are also examples of other ... more
- TEN FOUR... on Accident hotspot: northern beaches Our shabby roads are dangerously congested with heavy trucks in a big hurry and they take little care, whizzing in and out ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Malcolm Fraser's tribute to Gough These lavish perpetual prime minister's pensions are a bit of alright! And then a huge budget State Funeral with a ... more
- PEACEFUL ISLAM? on The Whisper: where burqa ban began France saw fit to ban the burqa but "sorry" Australia did not? more
- Raumann Gagnon on Tributes flow for Gough Whitlam A great leader , a warm friend . Always honest in what he did and said . Faithful to his beliefs and ideas . He shall be ... more
- REALISTIC on Drivers not tested for cocaine use? Well that explains all of the constant madness and road rage etc going on in our streets...so what are our invisible 'police ... more
- THE WEATHER on Perfect storm strikes across Sydney Well its soaking wet and freezing cold, could it be man 'made global warming' in disguise? Without the big dry and the ... more
- Cleangirl on Apologise to a culture of complaint Apologise because someone may choose to take offence ? more
- Join the Q Society on Apologise to a culture of complaint Non offensive T Shirt should have the same wording but with the Islamic State Flag! more
- Patriot on Apologise to a culture of complaint Slick and pretentious Woolworths obviously lack charisma and they lack credibility too. Woolworths will lose even more ... more
- Tanya on Woolies pulls "offensive" singlets What a lot of utter BS, When the Greens don't like something you know its OK. When has the truth become "Totally ... more
- WHAT POLICE? on Sydney violence a generation thing? Excuses, excuses! Amazingly even with record police numbers, it is a struggle to find our invisible police force i.e. huge ... more
- Troy on Hillsong, more than just a church So tired of hearing from this woman anytime Hillsong is mentioned. She hasn't been there in well over a decade. She couldn't ... more
- Mr Creepy on Are 'fun police' banning everything? We have all seen it. A poodle mounts the leg of a bigger dog. The expression on the poodles face is a little amusing, a ... more
- Voluptuous Hypothesis on Sydney to bathe in blood moon? Just in time to watch the moon die. Blood moon exsanguinated. Eclipse reached totality. Here, north of Dallas, the moon ... more
- Cleangirl on Labor Party 'Headed for the rocks' Labor has to stop the Left-wing senseless rhetoric, and start looking out for the workers, their families and get some ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Fear as ISIS set to take Kobane It was reported that Islamic State agents are travelling in fours with false passports, posing as refugees to enter Europe! ... more
Gillard's Gonski education 'crusade'
The Gillard government's new national schools reforms want to lift Australian students into the top 5 countries in the world for education. Jason Morrison questions where the funding will come from.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
The government plans to lift the global ranking of the nation's education system to the top five by 2025 and adopt a new benchmark Schooling Resource Standard for students.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has outlined a new $6.5-billion funding model which would see schools paid on a per-student basis from 2014.
Schools would also be forced to show they are improving reading, science and maths skills of their students in a bid to win extra money.
Ian 'Dicko' Dickson with 2UE Chief Political Correspondent Michael Pachi on the plans being outlined and questions where the money will be coming from.
The Gillard Government says it has a ''once in a generation'' opportunity to support the education needs of every student in the country.
Federal Education Minister Peter Garrett has confirmed the Government plans to adopt a new school funding model that will see a benchmark amount for each student, and additional loadings for students who face disadvantage.
Mr Garrett tells 2UE's John Stanley the new scheme would be more equitable.
Teachers and Principals have mostly welcomed the Government's plan, but argue the Commonwealth needs to stump-up most money, which will be a reversal from the current system.
Prime Minister Gillard wouldn't be drawn on funding arrangements, other than to say she'll lead talks with the states to reach a new agreement from 2014.
Former 2UE broadcaster and former Shadow Education Minister Stephen O'Doherty reveals to John Stanley why he likes the proposal and the vision it shows for all schools.
The Australian Education Union says the federal government should cover the lion's share of the new with the NSW government echoing a similiar sentiment.
The Greens say they will seek to amend new laws to make the educational targets more ambitious in order to lift overall standards.
The independent schools sector says it's happy to continue working with the government on school funding reforms and how they'll be implemented. (AAP)
Jason Morrison reveals how cameras on the morning a mongrel decided to mount the Cenotaph were not working as they should. Is it a sign there needs to be a change of direction at town hall this election?
Liberal State Senator Bill Heffernan says the Gillard Government's sale of Cubbie Station to a Chinese-led consortium is a bad deal. He tells John Stanley the company has roots in the Chinese Government.
As a dinky Di Aussie I cannot understand how or why anyone would vote for the LaborParty. Failed roof bats; resulted in the deaths of four young Aussies; Carbon Tax- ." there will be no carbon tax under the government I lead " What a mess with electricity prices going through the roof; Boat people- opening Nahru without temporary visas; they still keep coming and recieve Centrelink benefits which exceed those received by our own Age Pensioners. Government debt in the bilions after inheriting a surplus of (?) $billions from the previous government which our children and maybe grandchildren will have to repay. Now a mining Tax which may well be sending Aussie jobs overseas. As for those Traitors Windsor and Oakshot, words fail me except to say I will
Be glad to see both of them annihilated at the next Federal Election at which I trust Australians will engage brain before casting their votes.John M Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 8:37 PM
How on earth could anyone still vote Labor?? They would have to be so damned stupid. Liberal at least do offer some hope while Labor are a dead loss. Liberal need to get back to the very basics and genuinely look after Aussies, Australian sovereignty first and foremost. Liberal need to make this crystal clear in the coming election campaign, because there are some very suspicious Liberal characters, no names need mentioning who are really not Liberal and are deeply Labor/Green and they do not give a fig about Australians. Tony Abbott needs to get troubled Australia "relaxed and comfortable" once again, just like the honest patriot John Howard did for us. Traitorous and anti-Australia, Labor have made Australia very nervous and stressed with absolutely no future with Labor.Michael Harrison Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 5:24 PM
All you ungrateful whinging sexist bigoted Australians, please note; Juliar skillfully managed to just avoid dangerous anthropogenic global warming, giving us Labor's fantastic carbon dioxide tax, she just avoided the European/US financial crisis, she gladly scrapped temporary protection visas/closed Nauru and revolutionized migration and border unprotection, bringing in the illegals, she personally led the rorted Building Education Revolution and the fatal chinese pink batts scheme, stuffed up the hospitals and dentists need I go on, she led the world in cash $Billion dollar donations to our enemies while ignoring our poor, she has borrowed and wasted about $300 BILLION Dollars from china and says we are the envy of the world, she watched grocery and fuel prices skyrocket out of control and arranged for us to be clean and green with the worlds dearest electricity prices, need I go on, she improved chinese relations selling off the farm with lots of our jobs gone to china etc, etc you ungratefulls should all say thank you, Juliar!!Joey Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 5:00 PM
Alex you are probably one of those people that voted labour in the first place and then decided to un-vote labour am I correct?luke Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 4:56 PM
Well dumb boy steve, easy fixed just you stop voting for Juliar/Labor.Alex Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 4:27 PM
I'm so sick of seeing her talk... WHY WHY WHY AUSTRALIA!!
Why have we let this pathetic politician guide our country to a drain hole.Wise Man Steve Wednesday 5 September, 2012 - 10:25 AM