- Homelessness growing with women?
- Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali
- Gerry red faced on his bulk love email
- Natarsha & Craig join Dicko & Sarah
- Do we still need a Women's Day?
- Life in war-torn South Sudan
- Derryn Hinch emerges from prison
- Kit Harrington on making movies
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kimber on Scrap the My School website? Well said @Coasty!!! :) more
- Kimber on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? OMG, pay people to lose weight, pay people to quit smoking, now this.From the time kids can eat solid food fruit and ... more
- Jester4212 on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? Why why why must the govenrment become involved?! Even for parents to pay their children to do this is unbelieveable. They ... more
- Coasty on Scrap the My School website? Ridiculous. I'm now finding the teaching industry has gotten hysterical & political. The My Schools website was one of the ... more
- Jester4212 on A pizza stuffed with cheeseburgers? I can't believe what I'm watching. Disgusting. more
- William Coleman on Drugs & alcohol affecting our schools The classroom today is yesterdays psychiatric ward. more
- William Coleman on Chinese buying up Sydney housing? So the big money comes to oz and home prices soar .Meanwhile we buy products from Asian countries because it is so cheap due ... more
- Jester4212 on Should we pay people to lose weight? Cold hard cash is a complete cop-out, just like the baby bonus. I'm all for wanting to help these people out. But have ... more
- Greg O on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Of course Kevin will stop the war and I have no doubt he will also help the Russians tackle global warming by putting pink ... more
- Coasty on Sydney's outbreak of ablutophobia No-one minds backpackers. They're great. I was one & I want my kids to do it. The problem here, is one that's all too ... more
- Cleangirl on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Kevin ? Twins sharing the same name. Why is he allowed in with the U.N ? Why do we even financially support both Kevin and ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on What frustrates you on our trains? What frustrates you on our trains?That they refuse to supply a mobile number so that we can give them live updates of ... more
- Jester4212 on Sydney's outbreak of ablutophobia Well said. more
- David T. on Schapelle to be sent back to prison? More appropriate would be for Indonesia to ban Channel 7 reporters from entering its' territories. more
- helen on Bring back death penalty for murder? Hello Angela, I also was taken aback by Tony Abbot's 'warning' to Russia. Our Pm. has to remember he is not in the ... more
- Pter on Can we expect war in the Crimea? So what if there is? No fan of Russia, but if you had to choose between it and the economic, social and now ethnic basket ... more
- Jester4212 on Bring back death penalty for murder? Totally agree Garry. Not sure that any government will concur with what you say, but I'm sure that most of your logically ... more
- Tony on Can we expect war in the Crimea? Properly but with the world now being lead by a raging socialist powderpuff president in the United States, who is going to ... more
- Coasty on Pensioners targeted in budget cuts? When pensioners get as much as new Australians & refugee's then talk to me. Fix that first. But if people are talking about ... more
- Coasty on Bring back death penalty for murder? We're are at the point, where there is a real increase in premeditated & totally unrepentant, vicious murders of the very ... more
Macklin 'gotcha' on dole question
Families Minister Jenny Macklin is in damage control after claiming she could live on the dole but having it taken off a transcript.
Her office has blamed a revving car for the question and answer being inaudible - denying the minister was back-tracking.
But Ms Macklin has come out again maintaining she could live on the $35 a day allowance anyway.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Welfare groups say Families Minister Jenny Macklin is out of touch as she continues to maintain she could survive on the dole. Ms Macklin is standing by her comments.
John Stanley looks at changes to the welfare system for 2013 and the minister’s comments with Maree O’Halloran, Director of the Welfare Rights Centre.
HOW MUCH FEDERAL FAMILIES MINISTER JENNY MACKLIN EARNS:
$328,698 annual cabinet minister's salary
$6321 per week
$903 per day
(Source: Parliamentary remuneration and entitlements, August 17, 2012)
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR $903 PER DAY:
One night at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, Club Deluxe King room, $575, plus $280 Ladies Pamper Package
Degustation experience at top Melbourne restaurant, Vue de Monde, $250 per person. Matching wines $15-$25 extra per course
1996 Hyundai Sonata GLE with 220,000km, $700 (carsales.com.au)
Zone 1 myki pass valid for 210 days, $903
Melbourne Cricket Club entry membership, $900
Taxi ride from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga, NSW, $880 (Taxi Fare Calculator)
Six family passes to Luna Park Melbourne, $816
The Salvation Army says it is fed up with people dumping rubbish and unusable donations at its stores. Major Robert Sneller says it's costing the organisation a fortune to dump the unusable donations.
Voters are now more optimistic about their living standards in the latest opinion poll, as the Prime Minister vows to focus on the economy in the coming election year in her New Year's message to Australia.
mick, have you been able to prove that the method of measuring the unemployment rate has changed since the days of the Howard Govt. or are just going to talk through your hat, per usual?James W Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 8:11 AM
Juliarrrr, they're obviously not failed, as they are still in business, bigger and better than ever.James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:25 PM
Bill, our national debt is equal to 48% of our annual income (the tax take). Btw that tax take is 10% less than it was in Howard's last year of office, when measured as a percentage of GDP. Your claim that our debt is 'massive' is obviously tainted by your unbridled bias. Who here can say, hand on heart, that their company's or personal debt (debt - not the repayments) has never been more than 48% of their annual income?James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Hi James W you conveniently omitted the words FAILED CREDIT "rating agencies" in your highly refutable "facts!! A very common criticism of the Big Three Credit Rating Agencies and one that was highly linked to huge bank failures in 2008, is the dominance the agencies had on the market. As the three agencies held 95% of the market share, there was very little room for competition. Many feel this was a crucial contributor to the toxic economic environment that led to the financial downturn.
N.B Are you now stupidly saying to borrow even more wasted money?? The Labor fools are already heading for trouble! The so called Big Three credit rating agencies are Standard & Poor's (S&P), Moody's, and Fitch Group. S&P and Moody's are US-based, while Fitch is dual-headquartered in New York City and London, and is controlled by the France-based FIMALAC. Leave it alone stupid!JULIARRRR Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:25 PM
@JamesW - So do I. Don't you realise that we have the most inept, obstinate, deceitful, foolhardy, hopeless, proven incompetent minority socialist government. The abject mess they have made will take years and damned years to mend. I could not give two hoots how our economy stacks up against the other rubbish dumps that call themselves western countries of this world. I am disgusted at our massive debt and the wanton waste perpetrated by Gillard and comrades. So there.Bill T Abrahams Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:15 PM
Careful James, your ego is showing.David T. Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 10:25 AM