- Women still face work discrimination
- Do we all have psychic connections?
- Home lost to real estate fraudsters
- A week of horror over flight MH17
- Time for serious debate on euthanasia
- Bus crash kills one injures dozens
- Sydney median house price: $800,000
- Treatment for back pain a placebo
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Samuel J James on MH17: the long journey home @Kimber - well said indeed. And Vladimar Putin, the KGB thug and temporary President of Russia has given as much help to the ... more
- Samuel J on MH17: Putin behind the attack? It can be assumed that Putin, the KGB thug is imitating one of his equal coward and former President of the Soviet Union, ... more
- Samuel J on A week of horror over flight MH17 Putin, the KGB thug is convicted in absentia - Please God. more
- stevo on Time for serious debate on euthanasia Legalise Euthanasia for those with 6 months to live if doctors and family want.My dad asked to be given and injection as he ... more
- Cleangirl on Bus crash kills one injures dozens Get bicycles OUT of bus lanes for a start. more
- Samuel J on Medicinal cannabis for terminally ill The do-gooders will probably get their way with this and it will be sadly regected. We have no leadership here in nsw so let ... more
- Samuel J on MH17: the long journey home @Kimber - well said. The victims even after death did not receive any dignity at all from the Russian and Ukraine ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Why do we need childcare subsidies @Greg O - you are absolutely correct. It is this 'gimmie, gimmie' nonsense and nanny State mentality that is thoroughly ... more
- Kimber on MH17: the long journey home A heartfelt thank you to the Netherlands in appreciation for finally giving some dignity to the victims of flight MH17. more
- Craig on MH17: Putin behind the attack? If America has proof why have they not shown it? The Ukraine air traffic control tapes have been confiscated by the State ... more
- Greta on New Times for Weekend Shows Fantastic to hear Tim coming on earlier - love his show, has interesting segments, would love to hear more of the gardening ... more
- Craig on MH17: Putin behind the attack? @Shot down, You would also believe pigs fly.There is a lot more to this, have you seen Russia's reply yesterday? Radar of ... more
- Angela Coombes on Is Senator Jacqui Lambie for real? I don't feel sorry for her at all. Apart from her big mouth which shoots off without thinking first this galloot is ... more
- Keith A Tudor on MH17: Putin behind the attack? I firmly believe the utterly expensive anti-aircraft missile fired at Malaysian Airlines Passenger Jet MH17 and which ... more
- Samuel J on Sydney suffering too many councils @Angry Ratepayer - I agree. Councils' charter needs to be redrawn and be in simple terms to cut out this continuous ... more
- G. Parker on Jacqui Lambie 'an everyday person' This woman is a disgrace... she isn't talking to the ladies at the local RSL club, but AUSTRALIA! How can someone with this ... more
- Sheila Freeman on Is Senator Jacqui Lambie for real? Now where is Tania and the rest of the Labour party who are always ready to criticise the Libs - totally inappropriate ... more
- NOT A GOOD LOOK... on The Whisper: lineup to be a Knight? How hypocritical and pretentious is that staunch republican ex-Governor General, Ms. Quentin Bryce. She jumped at Tony ... more
- WAKE UP AUSTRALIA on PUP MPs stripping away pollie spin Our moronic politicians get shabbier everyday, they obviously have no class. This is clearly a recipe for disaster! more
- 1959 GRANGE... on Medicinal cannabis for terminally ill Obviously dying, suffering people with cancer urgently need medicinal cannabis and our constant support! In America they ... more
Macklin 'gotcha' on dole question
Families Minister Jenny Macklin is in damage control after claiming she could live on the dole but having it taken off a transcript.
Her office has blamed a revving car for the question and answer being inaudible - denying the minister was back-tracking.
But Ms Macklin has come out again maintaining she could live on the $35 a day allowance anyway.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Welfare groups say Families Minister Jenny Macklin is out of touch as she continues to maintain she could survive on the dole. Ms Macklin is standing by her comments.
John Stanley looks at changes to the welfare system for 2013 and the minister’s comments with Maree O’Halloran, Director of the Welfare Rights Centre.
HOW MUCH FEDERAL FAMILIES MINISTER JENNY MACKLIN EARNS:
$328,698 annual cabinet minister's salary
$6321 per week
$903 per day
(Source: Parliamentary remuneration and entitlements, August 17, 2012)
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR $903 PER DAY:
One night at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, Club Deluxe King room, $575, plus $280 Ladies Pamper Package
Degustation experience at top Melbourne restaurant, Vue de Monde, $250 per person. Matching wines $15-$25 extra per course
1996 Hyundai Sonata GLE with 220,000km, $700 (carsales.com.au)
Zone 1 myki pass valid for 210 days, $903
Melbourne Cricket Club entry membership, $900
Taxi ride from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga, NSW, $880 (Taxi Fare Calculator)
Six family passes to Luna Park Melbourne, $816
The Salvation Army says it is fed up with people dumping rubbish and unusable donations at its stores. Major Robert Sneller says it's costing the organisation a fortune to dump the unusable donations.
Voters are now more optimistic about their living standards in the latest opinion poll, as the Prime Minister vows to focus on the economy in the coming election year in her New Year's message to Australia.
mick, have you been able to prove that the method of measuring the unemployment rate has changed since the days of the Howard Govt. or are just going to talk through your hat, per usual?James W Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 8:11 AM
Juliarrrr, they're obviously not failed, as they are still in business, bigger and better than ever.James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:25 PM
Bill, our national debt is equal to 48% of our annual income (the tax take). Btw that tax take is 10% less than it was in Howard's last year of office, when measured as a percentage of GDP. Your claim that our debt is 'massive' is obviously tainted by your unbridled bias. Who here can say, hand on heart, that their company's or personal debt (debt - not the repayments) has never been more than 48% of their annual income?James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Hi James W you conveniently omitted the words FAILED CREDIT "rating agencies" in your highly refutable "facts!! A very common criticism of the Big Three Credit Rating Agencies and one that was highly linked to huge bank failures in 2008, is the dominance the agencies had on the market. As the three agencies held 95% of the market share, there was very little room for competition. Many feel this was a crucial contributor to the toxic economic environment that led to the financial downturn.
N.B Are you now stupidly saying to borrow even more wasted money?? The Labor fools are already heading for trouble! The so called Big Three credit rating agencies are Standard & Poor's (S&P), Moody's, and Fitch Group. S&P and Moody's are US-based, while Fitch is dual-headquartered in New York City and London, and is controlled by the France-based FIMALAC. Leave it alone stupid!JULIARRRR Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:25 PM
@JamesW - So do I. Don't you realise that we have the most inept, obstinate, deceitful, foolhardy, hopeless, proven incompetent minority socialist government. The abject mess they have made will take years and damned years to mend. I could not give two hoots how our economy stacks up against the other rubbish dumps that call themselves western countries of this world. I am disgusted at our massive debt and the wanton waste perpetrated by Gillard and comrades. So there.Bill T Abrahams Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:15 PM
Careful James, your ego is showing.David T. Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 10:25 AM