- Claims of retaliation in Sydney traffic
- Do we need seats for indigenous MPs
- Revealed: Operation Pendennis
- Overcoming fear in our suburbs
- Sydney's Favourite Teacher 2014
- Council sister city costs questioned
- 12 secrets to a happy marriage
- New phase in fight on terror
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- adam on Should we ban local ISIS flag sales? Justin, the extract below is from Christian News Minute (CNM) I hope it gives you pause for thought.The ISIS flag consists ... more
- The Devils Advocate on Too apathetic to make a change? Neil really wants to say the number plate is an antiemetic racial slur. He is prevented from saying that because he has ... more
- RAKESH ADUK on Too apathetic to make a change? Garry Linnell talks a lot of sense! Whenever I go overseas and see the beautiful Aussie flag, it immediately takes me back ... more
- mike deegan on Pauline's advice to Jacqui Lambie if the press give Lambie a fair go she may one of the better senators in the 40 years more
- scott on Father's gift to save his son Thanks for these inspiring stories! Not everyone ends up being healthy enough or a good enough match to be able to be a ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on ISIS flag auctioned at Sydney mosque Try carrying a radar detector in NSW and see what happens, that lowers their revenue base but carrying a death flag doesn't, ... more
- Tejas on Ban Fred Nile's 'Burqa Ban' BS? Of course every sane person should oppose it. He tried in 2010 and failed, he will fail again. This is what has engulfed the ... more
- Nobody can help those who dont help themselves on Lifting the terror security risk Cook and Columbus gave beads and trinkets in exchange for land and control. But you are much smarter than the poor ... more
- Iman on 3D printing: the future unlimited? Interesting, to get more benefits from 3D printing. more
- Keith A Tudor on PM again overseas: trip #11 @Tejas posting here.Well boo, hoo,hoo to you. Our PM was elected as a leader to undertake high level executive leadership ... more
- Samuel J on ISIS is 'evil and must be destroyed' @Gretta Frankie - absolutely agree. It was utterly disgusting the videos of these barbaric ISIS MONGRELS slitting throats of ... more
- Barry G on ISIS flag auctioned at Sydney mosque They better not wave that flag in my town ,it wont be nice. more
- Angela Coombes on ISIS flag auctioned at Sydney mosque @Ross - great comment. And Madame Milne of the equally useless greens party thinks we can resolve all of this ISIS barbaric ... more
- Coasty on "Zero tolerance" on ISIS flag auction Can anyone please explain to me the reason why Islamic leaders are so silent, so apathetic, so unwilling to stand up in the ... more
- Ben on How to beat the Opal Card system I do not understand why you are trying to encourage even MORE people to use public transport. Trains and busses have been ... more
- The scourge of Terrorism on "Zero tolerance" on ISIS flag auction Terrorism is always terrorism. It is never acceptable to commit an act of terrorism. It is never acceptable for ANY party to ... more
- Jonathon L Benson LLB on ISIS flag auctioned at Sydney mosque I blame this wishy washy government of nsw. They have the power to outlaw this barbaric flag but are scared of their shadows. more
- Craig on US expanding role in Middle East To get to the crux of this matter, it was US support for the so called rebels in Syria that has led to the creation of this ... more
- Angela Coombes on ISIS flag auctioned at Sydney mosque @Ross - absolutely correct. Our out of touch governments should legislate to declare the ownership, carriage, sale, flying ... more
- Cleangirl on "Zero tolerance" on ISIS flag auction As welcome as a KKK flag. more
Macklin 'gotcha' on dole question
Families Minister Jenny Macklin is in damage control after claiming she could live on the dole but having it taken off a transcript.
Her office has blamed a revving car for the question and answer being inaudible - denying the minister was back-tracking.
But Ms Macklin has come out again maintaining she could live on the $35 a day allowance anyway.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Welfare groups say Families Minister Jenny Macklin is out of touch as she continues to maintain she could survive on the dole. Ms Macklin is standing by her comments.
John Stanley looks at changes to the welfare system for 2013 and the minister’s comments with Maree O’Halloran, Director of the Welfare Rights Centre.
HOW MUCH FEDERAL FAMILIES MINISTER JENNY MACKLIN EARNS:
$328,698 annual cabinet minister's salary
$6321 per week
$903 per day
(Source: Parliamentary remuneration and entitlements, August 17, 2012)
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR $903 PER DAY:
One night at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, Club Deluxe King room, $575, plus $280 Ladies Pamper Package
Degustation experience at top Melbourne restaurant, Vue de Monde, $250 per person. Matching wines $15-$25 extra per course
1996 Hyundai Sonata GLE with 220,000km, $700 (carsales.com.au)
Zone 1 myki pass valid for 210 days, $903
Melbourne Cricket Club entry membership, $900
Taxi ride from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga, NSW, $880 (Taxi Fare Calculator)
Six family passes to Luna Park Melbourne, $816
The Salvation Army says it is fed up with people dumping rubbish and unusable donations at its stores. Major Robert Sneller says it's costing the organisation a fortune to dump the unusable donations.
Voters are now more optimistic about their living standards in the latest opinion poll, as the Prime Minister vows to focus on the economy in the coming election year in her New Year's message to Australia.
mick, have you been able to prove that the method of measuring the unemployment rate has changed since the days of the Howard Govt. or are just going to talk through your hat, per usual?James W Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 8:11 AM
Juliarrrr, they're obviously not failed, as they are still in business, bigger and better than ever.James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:25 PM
Bill, our national debt is equal to 48% of our annual income (the tax take). Btw that tax take is 10% less than it was in Howard's last year of office, when measured as a percentage of GDP. Your claim that our debt is 'massive' is obviously tainted by your unbridled bias. Who here can say, hand on heart, that their company's or personal debt (debt - not the repayments) has never been more than 48% of their annual income?James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Hi James W you conveniently omitted the words FAILED CREDIT "rating agencies" in your highly refutable "facts!! A very common criticism of the Big Three Credit Rating Agencies and one that was highly linked to huge bank failures in 2008, is the dominance the agencies had on the market. As the three agencies held 95% of the market share, there was very little room for competition. Many feel this was a crucial contributor to the toxic economic environment that led to the financial downturn.
N.B Are you now stupidly saying to borrow even more wasted money?? The Labor fools are already heading for trouble! The so called Big Three credit rating agencies are Standard & Poor's (S&P), Moody's, and Fitch Group. S&P and Moody's are US-based, while Fitch is dual-headquartered in New York City and London, and is controlled by the France-based FIMALAC. Leave it alone stupid!JULIARRRR Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:25 PM
@JamesW - So do I. Don't you realise that we have the most inept, obstinate, deceitful, foolhardy, hopeless, proven incompetent minority socialist government. The abject mess they have made will take years and damned years to mend. I could not give two hoots how our economy stacks up against the other rubbish dumps that call themselves western countries of this world. I am disgusted at our massive debt and the wanton waste perpetrated by Gillard and comrades. So there.Bill T Abrahams Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:15 PM
Careful James, your ego is showing.David T. Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 10:25 AM