- Nova Peris sets back race relations?
- 2UE Summer of Cricket
- Pop to Popism at Art Gallery of NSW
- New Gold Opal card for Seniors
- Men now reluctant to help kids?
- Sydney kids calls for Islamic caliphate
- Recycling everyday food scraps
- Joe Hockey's spat at red tape
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tony on Sydney kids calls for Islamic caliphate And as if the police will get anywhere? These people seem to be able to do whatever they want too, whenever they want too, ... more
- NO MONEY NO HONEY on New Gold Opal card for Seniors Beware, the scheming movers & shaker's agenda is to make a $cashless society. more
- Keith A Tudor on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? @ Realistic-Canberra - well said indeed. It is quite sickening the mess Madame Gillard left us all - including the abject ... more
- Join the Q Society on Sydney turns blind eye to homeless No they don't, when the nameless arrived on leaky boats they were given Government housing, white goods and the never ending ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? Senator Nova Peris was always going to be just another one of failed prime minister JuLia Gillard's sick jokes. No wonder ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Sydney turns blind eye to homeless Our grandstanding, uncaring governments, both Labor/Green & Liberal are donating countless $billions of borrowed $$dollars ... more
- Cleangirl on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? The Token job placer should also stand down, disgraceful. more
- peter on Excise lift: Petrol prices set to rise get more attention on pump price we should be paying after lower crude price drop , why the lag in price drop we pay through ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Why paying more for petrol stinks! I remember the big con, the panic, scare campaign 40 years ago when we were told we would run out of oil within 5 years and ... more
- Greg O on Excise lift: Petrol prices set to rise Well something has to rise if any Government no matter who it might be is going to pay back the massive debt that the Kevin ... more
- Cleangirl on Why paying more for petrol stinks! why not 40c on Dog food, or a charge for cyclists ? Motoring is a necessity. more
- EMPTY TANK on The Whisper: Woolies Woes I wish greedy Woolies and Coles would be stopped from messing about with petrol $prices? This a very big election issue... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin Evidently these days Aussies have got no money to bid with...so much for so called free trade, well done big Joe? more
- Bao Tran on Who let 11yo runaway stay 2 nights? Good question. This day and age you have to be either very brave or very stupid. It shows how society is now. What if it was ... more
- Tanya on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin We wanted to buy an investment property a few years ago. Looked at a lot of different agents, but one of them most ... more
- Joanne L. on Who let 11yo runaway stay 2 nights? After what happened to Daniel Morcombe, I feared the worse, thank God she is alright...there is a very big lesson here for ... more
- Barry G on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin By By Australia , A special thanks to Gough Whitlam for those big reforms , more Labor disasters from back then and many ... more
- Paul on Why no fines for smoke butt tossers? Yes it does bug me when people throw their cigarette butts, thats why I've videoed these idiots to embarrass them on ... more
- Cleangirl on Why no fines for smoke butt tossers? or Cyclists running red lights, cars not using blinkers, people eating on the train, allowing dogs on ovals, dogs in school ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Why no fines for smoke butt tossers? I have on occasions got out of my car picked up the lit butt and tossed it onto their back seat and once I dropped it into ... more
Macklin 'gotcha' on dole question
Families Minister Jenny Macklin is in damage control after claiming she could live on the dole but having it taken off a transcript.
Her office has blamed a revving car for the question and answer being inaudible - denying the minister was back-tracking.
But Ms Macklin has come out again maintaining she could live on the $35 a day allowance anyway.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Welfare groups say Families Minister Jenny Macklin is out of touch as she continues to maintain she could survive on the dole. Ms Macklin is standing by her comments.
John Stanley looks at changes to the welfare system for 2013 and the minister’s comments with Maree O’Halloran, Director of the Welfare Rights Centre.
HOW MUCH FEDERAL FAMILIES MINISTER JENNY MACKLIN EARNS:
$328,698 annual cabinet minister's salary
$6321 per week
$903 per day
(Source: Parliamentary remuneration and entitlements, August 17, 2012)
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR $903 PER DAY:
One night at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, Club Deluxe King room, $575, plus $280 Ladies Pamper Package
Degustation experience at top Melbourne restaurant, Vue de Monde, $250 per person. Matching wines $15-$25 extra per course
1996 Hyundai Sonata GLE with 220,000km, $700 (carsales.com.au)
Zone 1 myki pass valid for 210 days, $903
Melbourne Cricket Club entry membership, $900
Taxi ride from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga, NSW, $880 (Taxi Fare Calculator)
Six family passes to Luna Park Melbourne, $816
The Salvation Army says it is fed up with people dumping rubbish and unusable donations at its stores. Major Robert Sneller says it's costing the organisation a fortune to dump the unusable donations.
Voters are now more optimistic about their living standards in the latest opinion poll, as the Prime Minister vows to focus on the economy in the coming election year in her New Year's message to Australia.
mick, have you been able to prove that the method of measuring the unemployment rate has changed since the days of the Howard Govt. or are just going to talk through your hat, per usual?James W Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 8:11 AM
Juliarrrr, they're obviously not failed, as they are still in business, bigger and better than ever.James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:25 PM
Bill, our national debt is equal to 48% of our annual income (the tax take). Btw that tax take is 10% less than it was in Howard's last year of office, when measured as a percentage of GDP. Your claim that our debt is 'massive' is obviously tainted by your unbridled bias. Who here can say, hand on heart, that their company's or personal debt (debt - not the repayments) has never been more than 48% of their annual income?James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Hi James W you conveniently omitted the words FAILED CREDIT "rating agencies" in your highly refutable "facts!! A very common criticism of the Big Three Credit Rating Agencies and one that was highly linked to huge bank failures in 2008, is the dominance the agencies had on the market. As the three agencies held 95% of the market share, there was very little room for competition. Many feel this was a crucial contributor to the toxic economic environment that led to the financial downturn.
N.B Are you now stupidly saying to borrow even more wasted money?? The Labor fools are already heading for trouble! The so called Big Three credit rating agencies are Standard & Poor's (S&P), Moody's, and Fitch Group. S&P and Moody's are US-based, while Fitch is dual-headquartered in New York City and London, and is controlled by the France-based FIMALAC. Leave it alone stupid!JULIARRRR Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:25 PM
@JamesW - So do I. Don't you realise that we have the most inept, obstinate, deceitful, foolhardy, hopeless, proven incompetent minority socialist government. The abject mess they have made will take years and damned years to mend. I could not give two hoots how our economy stacks up against the other rubbish dumps that call themselves western countries of this world. I am disgusted at our massive debt and the wanton waste perpetrated by Gillard and comrades. So there.Bill T Abrahams Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:15 PM
Careful James, your ego is showing.David T. Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 10:25 AM