- Over treatment with some cancers
- Baird shows huge political courage
- Still cook to Nana's recipes?
- Guy Sebastian is back with Madness
- Halal certification funding terrorists?
- Too much lack of respect these days?
- Eddie Obeid set to face court
- Would you prefer to vote online
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Julie on Halal certification funding terrorists? I used to shop at a Halal shop selling fruit, veg & meat in Canberra. This changed 2 months ago, when they started ... more
- Tony on Halal certification funding terrorists? Halal certification is one of the biggest con jobs out there at the moment. Think about it! Big companies and little ... more
- Craig on Can you trust a politician's promise? No you can't trust them,the mainstream parties are just 2 gangs that have their ideologies foremost in their minds. What ... more
- Glynn on Can you trust a politician's promise? An incoming government, no matter what promises were made during an election campaign has the authority and responsibility ... more
- Greg O on Can you trust a politician's promise? Politicians are just a product of the people. They want to get elected so in order to have a chance they have to say the ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Can you trust a politician's promise? You can trust that dancing, cigar smoking, treasurer, that "heavy lifting" big Joe Hockey, as far as you can throw him... more
- STEADY EDDIE... on Eddie Obeid set to face court Steady Eddie reckoned "Jesus told me to do it"? Well done eddie...I wonder whether mystic eddie will be sworn in on the Holy ... more
- Julie on Would you prefer to vote online In Canberra we already have electronic voting for ACT Elections. After allegations of electoral fraud in the last election, ... more
- Cleangirl on SBS want more commercials? SBS and the ABC should not be receiving any taxpayer funding till they stop the Left-wing, Political Correctness and ... more
- Craig on China free trade will raise prices All these "free" trade agreements do not always work in your favour. Going back to the original "Lima"document signed by the ... more
- EVEN MORE LIES... on China free trade will raise prices Wages are rapidly going up in china and imported chinese made goods are rising, already expensive here and millions of our ... more
- Cleangirl on $250m better spent on hospitals? If they can pay players extraordinary amounts of money, they can pay for the upgrade. Tax is for roads, hospitals, public ... more
- Kimber on Sydney brothers off to fight with IS IS are a pathetic disgrace to humanity, all they do is murder other Muslims and abduct and slaughter aid workers who carry ... more
- Robert on Free Trade: will we all benefit So called 'free trade' is a device to allow foreign multinationals to come into a country and consolidate power for the ... more
- Kimber on Qantas goes 70's retro on aircraft Love it, goes to show that some things can go back to the 'good old days'. :) more
- Tony on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Obama going about with his usual dog and pony show to a bunch of gullible morons. Obama is hated in his own country but ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Prime Minister Tony Abbott should of informed the US President Barack Hussein Obama that the planet has been cooling for the ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Free Trade: will we all benefit Evidently, a select few at the top of the heap are greatly $benefiting from so called "free trade"? Australia used to be a ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Another nonsense raised by Obama about so called climate change. Evidently, Rudd and/or Gillard have been in his ear at the ... more
- Greg O on Obama urges Australia to "step up" I am out in my backyard at the moment and am all set to save the environment. I have a Jim's Mowing hat, Steve Irwin shirt ... more
Macklin 'gotcha' on dole question
Families Minister Jenny Macklin is in damage control after claiming she could live on the dole but having it taken off a transcript.
Her office has blamed a revving car for the question and answer being inaudible - denying the minister was back-tracking.
But Ms Macklin has come out again maintaining she could live on the $35 a day allowance anyway.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Welfare groups say Families Minister Jenny Macklin is out of touch as she continues to maintain she could survive on the dole. Ms Macklin is standing by her comments.
John Stanley looks at changes to the welfare system for 2013 and the minister’s comments with Maree O’Halloran, Director of the Welfare Rights Centre.
HOW MUCH FEDERAL FAMILIES MINISTER JENNY MACKLIN EARNS:
$328,698 annual cabinet minister's salary
$6321 per week
$903 per day
(Source: Parliamentary remuneration and entitlements, August 17, 2012)
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR $903 PER DAY:
One night at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, Club Deluxe King room, $575, plus $280 Ladies Pamper Package
Degustation experience at top Melbourne restaurant, Vue de Monde, $250 per person. Matching wines $15-$25 extra per course
1996 Hyundai Sonata GLE with 220,000km, $700 (carsales.com.au)
Zone 1 myki pass valid for 210 days, $903
Melbourne Cricket Club entry membership, $900
Taxi ride from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga, NSW, $880 (Taxi Fare Calculator)
Six family passes to Luna Park Melbourne, $816
The Salvation Army says it is fed up with people dumping rubbish and unusable donations at its stores. Major Robert Sneller says it's costing the organisation a fortune to dump the unusable donations.
Voters are now more optimistic about their living standards in the latest opinion poll, as the Prime Minister vows to focus on the economy in the coming election year in her New Year's message to Australia.
mick, have you been able to prove that the method of measuring the unemployment rate has changed since the days of the Howard Govt. or are just going to talk through your hat, per usual?James W Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 8:11 AM
Juliarrrr, they're obviously not failed, as they are still in business, bigger and better than ever.James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:25 PM
Bill, our national debt is equal to 48% of our annual income (the tax take). Btw that tax take is 10% less than it was in Howard's last year of office, when measured as a percentage of GDP. Your claim that our debt is 'massive' is obviously tainted by your unbridled bias. Who here can say, hand on heart, that their company's or personal debt (debt - not the repayments) has never been more than 48% of their annual income?James W Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Hi James W you conveniently omitted the words FAILED CREDIT "rating agencies" in your highly refutable "facts!! A very common criticism of the Big Three Credit Rating Agencies and one that was highly linked to huge bank failures in 2008, is the dominance the agencies had on the market. As the three agencies held 95% of the market share, there was very little room for competition. Many feel this was a crucial contributor to the toxic economic environment that led to the financial downturn.
N.B Are you now stupidly saying to borrow even more wasted money?? The Labor fools are already heading for trouble! The so called Big Three credit rating agencies are Standard & Poor's (S&P), Moody's, and Fitch Group. S&P and Moody's are US-based, while Fitch is dual-headquartered in New York City and London, and is controlled by the France-based FIMALAC. Leave it alone stupid!JULIARRRR Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:25 PM
@JamesW - So do I. Don't you realise that we have the most inept, obstinate, deceitful, foolhardy, hopeless, proven incompetent minority socialist government. The abject mess they have made will take years and damned years to mend. I could not give two hoots how our economy stacks up against the other rubbish dumps that call themselves western countries of this world. I am disgusted at our massive debt and the wanton waste perpetrated by Gillard and comrades. So there.Bill T Abrahams Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 1:15 PM
Careful James, your ego is showing.David T. Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 10:25 AM