- MH17: mass murder of innocent souls
- Earth missed catastrophe by a week
- Asylum seekers heading to mainland
- Women still face work discrimination
- Do we all have psychic connections?
- Home lost to real estate fraudsters
- A week of horror over flight MH17
- Time for serious debate on euthanasia
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- SHOT DOWN... on MH17: Putin behind the attack? @Craig you purposely omitted Russian armed and Russian trained killers did this...what is your agenda here? more
- Gary on Abbott copping Senate body blows If the PPL for everyone is such a bad thing, waste of effort and doesn't achieve anything in regards to workplace ... more
- Samuel J James on MH17: the long journey home @Kimber - well said indeed. And Vladimar Putin, the KGB thug and temporary President of Russia has given as much help to the ... more
- Samuel J on MH17: Putin behind the attack? It can be assumed that Putin, the KGB thug is imitating one of his equal coward and former President of the Soviet Union, ... more
- Samuel J on A week of horror over flight MH17 Putin, the KGB thug is convicted in absentia - Please God. more
- stevo on Time for serious debate on euthanasia Legalise Euthanasia for those with 6 months to live if doctors and family want.My dad asked to be given and injection as he ... more
- Cleangirl on Bus crash kills one injures dozens Get bicycles OUT of bus lanes for a start. more
- Jonathon L Benson on UN unanimous vote on MH17 The sickening pictures of the filthy train leaving Ukraine with the bodies of many of these multi-national souls on board, ... more
- Samuel J on Medicinal cannabis for terminally ill The do-gooders will probably get their way with this and it will be sadly regected. We have no leadership here in nsw so let ... more
- Samuel J on MH17: the long journey home @Kimber - well said. The victims even after death did not receive any dignity at all from the Russian and Ukraine ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Why do we need childcare subsidies @Greg O - you are absolutely correct. It is this 'gimmie, gimmie' nonsense and nanny State mentality that is thoroughly ... more
- Kimber on MH17: the long journey home A heartfelt thank you to the Netherlands in appreciation for finally giving some dignity to the victims of flight MH17. more
- Craig on MH17: Putin behind the attack? If America has proof why have they not shown it? The Ukraine air traffic control tapes have been confiscated by the State ... more
- Greta on New Times for Weekend Shows Fantastic to hear Tim coming on earlier - love his show, has interesting segments, would love to hear more of the gardening ... more
- Craig on MH17: Putin behind the attack? @Shot down, You would also believe pigs fly.There is a lot more to this, have you seen Russia's reply yesterday? Radar of ... more
- Angela Coombes on Is Senator Jacqui Lambie for real? I don't feel sorry for her at all. Apart from her big mouth which shoots off without thinking first this galloot is ... more
- Keith A Tudor on MH17: Putin behind the attack? I firmly believe the utterly expensive anti-aircraft missile fired at Malaysian Airlines Passenger Jet MH17 and which ... more
- Samuel J on Sydney suffering too many councils @Angry Ratepayer - I agree. Councils' charter needs to be redrawn and be in simple terms to cut out this continuous ... more
- G. Parker on Jacqui Lambie 'an everyday person' This woman is a disgrace... she isn't talking to the ladies at the local RSL club, but AUSTRALIA! How can someone with this ... more
- Sheila Freeman on Is Senator Jacqui Lambie for real? Now where is Tania and the rest of the Labour party who are always ready to criticise the Libs - totally inappropriate ... more
PM calls election on September 14th
Prime Minister Julia Gillard says the federal election will be held on September 14. The PM said she wanted to avoid the "carry on" that usually arises from constant speculation of the date of the poll.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Jason Morrison says one of the most important elections of our time and we have months of election campaigning to take us there. Why has the Prime Minister announced the date today.
How do we know what are governing days and campaigning days? Does it have more to do with making sure her leadership is stable?
PM Gillard's decision means Australia is in for a long-running unofficial election campaign ahead of the governor-general issuing writs on Monday, August 12 - which will mark the start of the official campaign.
The decision is believed to be unprecedented in modern Australian politics.
Prime ministers usually ask for the writs to be issued six to 12 weeks before a poll.
The electoral act allows for 58 days between the issue of the writs and polling day.
The surprise announcement about the date for the Federal Election has been welcomed by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, who is half-way through his mini-election campaign. He was caught by surprise from today's announcement, but he says the Coalition are ready for anything.
Mr Abbott, who raced back to the capital from Melbourne as the news circulated, says Australians will have have a clear choice between more tax or less, more regulation or less, and less competence or more and between less freedom or more.
Independent MP Tony Windsor is welcoming the September 14 election date - but maintains the parliament still has alot of work to do before we go to the poll.
Mr Windsor says the Prime Minister called him last night - to get his thoughts on the date.
Coalition Senator Barnaby Joyce has mocked Prime Minister Julia Gillard's announcement of a September 14 Federal Election, saying it is premature.
Senator Joyce has told Jason Morrison the Prime Minister is obviously trying to stave off a leadership challenge, but the date announced is strangely early.
Our political leaders, and the public face a grueling eight month election campaign, as the date is unveiled for Australians to go to the polls. Jason Morrison with Joe Hockey on the campaign ahead.
KEY DATES LEADING TO 2013 POLL:
30 - Prime Minster Julia Gillard names September 14 election date
31 - Opposition Leader Tony Abbott National Press Club speech
1 - Melbourne Federal Court directions hearing for Fair Work Australia civil case against Labor-turned Independent MP Craig Thomson
5 - First sitting week of the parliamentary year begins
8 - Gillard attends NZ-Australian Leaders talks, Queenstown
11 - House sits, additional Senate estimates hearings
15 - Former Speaker Peter Slipper due to face Canberra Magistrates Court over travel entitlement misuse allegations
18 - Gillard addresses Australian Workers Union national conference, Gold Coast
22 - Reserve Bank Governor half yearly testimony
25 - New year Senate estimates hearings begin
- Council of Australian Governments meeting due mid-February
9 - WA state election
12 - Parliament sits
18 - Parliament sits
21 - Gillard gives official apology to Mothers and Children of Forced Adoption
14 - 2013/14 federal budget released
27 - House sits, budget estimates hearings
3 - House sits, budget estimates hearings
17 - Parliament sits
24 - Parliament sits
27 - Last sitting day before election
1 - Stage one of National Disability Insurance Scheme due to begin
12 - Governor-General issues writs for the house and half Senate election
19 - Electoral rolls due to close
14 - Polling day
(Source: government, AAP)
Thank you Terrence; Q.E.D.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 9:34 AM
@David T., well I put forward specific points. You di not respond to any of those and are relying only on disjointed personal attacks to try to shut me up. That never works.
Well you are doing a good job of making a complete fool of yourself so focus on yourself before you advise others. Now off to work and earn your bread as a self-admitted Lieberal party stooge!Terrence Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:02 AM
Terrence, I suggest that for your own benefit, it is time for you to go back to school and learn a little more of the English language and its' usage. You may then be clearer in both your postings and your understanding of those of others. In the meantime, try not to appear to be a fool.David T. Monday 4 February, 2013 - 2:22 PM
@David T., can't make up your mind eh, just like your leader Abbott? First you admit you are Lieberal stooge then you say in the next post "not that I am one".Terrence Friday 1 February, 2013 - 7:30 PM
Angela, given your newspaper knowledge, I guess your profession, from which you have so kindly provided your 'professional view' (free of charge, might I add) must be bundling the local Quest community papers in readiness for delivery.James W Friday 1 February, 2013 - 2:07 PM
Carmen and LIARRR - you got your election, but how long will it take Abutt to get ready? Waving books at people will not do. People are asking what Abutt gonnna do and how he'll pay for it.Franco Friday 1 February, 2013 - 12:05 PM