- Army too tough on Anzac Day drinks?
- Looking back on O’Farrell the man
- Will Mike Baird become Premier?
- Have you lost faith in politicians?
- Royal family’s affection for Australia?
- Ralf Fiennes with John & Garry
- No alternative but for Barry to resign?
- Keneally on O’Farrell resignation
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Alan J on Will Mike Baird become Premier? Barry appeared spooked? Why did he panic? more
- Tangled Web on Will Mike Baird become Premier? Look we can all have memory lapses. However, in this Barry O'Farrell case, Mr. O'Farrell categorically denied ever receiving ... more
- adriano on Would you like us to be a republic? Harry is the most popular uk name mohammed is only number 19.Also steve you are wrong about the UK economy.It will rise by ... more
- David on No alternative but for Barry to resign? Barry did the right thing to resign, but given the timing of the events surrounding the bottle delivery, anyone could have ... more
- davo on Royal family’s affection for Australia? Of course they like australia .WE HAVE FOOTED THE BILL for their trip! more
- Samuel J on Barry O’Farrell resigns as Premier I believe O'Farrell had a genuine memory lapse! And his ambushing by Watson SC of ICAC has not proven corruption either on ... more
- Shaun on No alternative but for Barry to resign? Premier O'Farrel deserves a second chance. Why don't we bring him back? more
- Robert on Have you lost faith in politicians? Lost faith?! Are you joking?!I stopped voting years ago. I hand in informal votes.Once you find out about the new world ... more
- Robert on Would you like us to be a republic? A Republic yes but DONT change the flag. more
- Tangled Web on Was bank 'glitch' due to Heartbleed? Apparently our movers & shakers want a cashless society? What happens when the whole system crashes? It would be chaotic ... more
- Cleangirl on Would you like us to be a republic? Can ANYONE name a Republic or republic model better than what we have ? Do we choose from any of the African models ? or ... more
- Angela Coombes on Have you lost faith in politicians? Well this Robertson joker has not got the credentials to give advice - given the record of his utterly failed, absolutely ... more
- Julie on PM Tony Abbott with Justin Smith The Government will get a massive backlash from loyal Liberals like me, if they touch the age pension. I feel angry and ... more
- Angela Coombes on Keneally on O’Farrell resignation @Jaydee you are 1000% correct. However, I believe in the case of O'Farrell he would have received gifts on his appointment ... more
- Athol on No alternative but for Barry to resign? I can see little old wine drinker Barry, being gifted a very lucrative cushy job aboard Tony Abbott's hasty new airport ... more
- Konrad H. on Have you lost faith in politicians? Iffy Barry O'Farrell is apparently no good, however iffy John Robertson is arguably even worse. Hypocrite Robertson is ... more
- Sam on Royal family’s affection for Australia? Affection for Australia? How nice! But I hope they don't have that very same affection that they were supposed to have for ... more
- Hank on No alternative but for Barry to resign? @Ardent Tony is laying it on a little thick? What else has iffy Barry been up to? Funny how Barry suddenly backflipped on ... more
- Tony on No alternative but for Barry to resign? It takes a man with principles to do what so many others on the opposing side of politics would fight tooth and nail to ... more
- Diana Warren on Barry O’Farrell resigns as Premier I heard the interview with John & Gary this morning & was convinced Barry O'Farrel was being honest in his comments. Now ... more
PM calls election on September 14th
Prime Minister Julia Gillard says the federal election will be held on September 14. The PM said she wanted to avoid the "carry on" that usually arises from constant speculation of the date of the poll.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Jason Morrison says one of the most important elections of our time and we have months of election campaigning to take us there. Why has the Prime Minister announced the date today.
How do we know what are governing days and campaigning days? Does it have more to do with making sure her leadership is stable?
PM Gillard's decision means Australia is in for a long-running unofficial election campaign ahead of the governor-general issuing writs on Monday, August 12 - which will mark the start of the official campaign.
The decision is believed to be unprecedented in modern Australian politics.
Prime ministers usually ask for the writs to be issued six to 12 weeks before a poll.
The electoral act allows for 58 days between the issue of the writs and polling day.
The surprise announcement about the date for the Federal Election has been welcomed by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, who is half-way through his mini-election campaign. He was caught by surprise from today's announcement, but he says the Coalition are ready for anything.
Mr Abbott, who raced back to the capital from Melbourne as the news circulated, says Australians will have have a clear choice between more tax or less, more regulation or less, and less competence or more and between less freedom or more.
Independent MP Tony Windsor is welcoming the September 14 election date - but maintains the parliament still has alot of work to do before we go to the poll.
Mr Windsor says the Prime Minister called him last night - to get his thoughts on the date.
Coalition Senator Barnaby Joyce has mocked Prime Minister Julia Gillard's announcement of a September 14 Federal Election, saying it is premature.
Senator Joyce has told Jason Morrison the Prime Minister is obviously trying to stave off a leadership challenge, but the date announced is strangely early.
Our political leaders, and the public face a grueling eight month election campaign, as the date is unveiled for Australians to go to the polls. Jason Morrison with Joe Hockey on the campaign ahead.
KEY DATES LEADING TO 2013 POLL:
30 - Prime Minster Julia Gillard names September 14 election date
31 - Opposition Leader Tony Abbott National Press Club speech
1 - Melbourne Federal Court directions hearing for Fair Work Australia civil case against Labor-turned Independent MP Craig Thomson
5 - First sitting week of the parliamentary year begins
8 - Gillard attends NZ-Australian Leaders talks, Queenstown
11 - House sits, additional Senate estimates hearings
15 - Former Speaker Peter Slipper due to face Canberra Magistrates Court over travel entitlement misuse allegations
18 - Gillard addresses Australian Workers Union national conference, Gold Coast
22 - Reserve Bank Governor half yearly testimony
25 - New year Senate estimates hearings begin
- Council of Australian Governments meeting due mid-February
9 - WA state election
12 - Parliament sits
18 - Parliament sits
21 - Gillard gives official apology to Mothers and Children of Forced Adoption
14 - 2013/14 federal budget released
27 - House sits, budget estimates hearings
3 - House sits, budget estimates hearings
17 - Parliament sits
24 - Parliament sits
27 - Last sitting day before election
1 - Stage one of National Disability Insurance Scheme due to begin
12 - Governor-General issues writs for the house and half Senate election
19 - Electoral rolls due to close
14 - Polling day
(Source: government, AAP)
Thank you Terrence; Q.E.D.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 9:34 AM
@David T., well I put forward specific points. You di not respond to any of those and are relying only on disjointed personal attacks to try to shut me up. That never works.
Well you are doing a good job of making a complete fool of yourself so focus on yourself before you advise others. Now off to work and earn your bread as a self-admitted Lieberal party stooge!Terrence Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:02 AM
Terrence, I suggest that for your own benefit, it is time for you to go back to school and learn a little more of the English language and its' usage. You may then be clearer in both your postings and your understanding of those of others. In the meantime, try not to appear to be a fool.David T. Monday 4 February, 2013 - 2:22 PM
@David T., can't make up your mind eh, just like your leader Abbott? First you admit you are Lieberal stooge then you say in the next post "not that I am one".Terrence Friday 1 February, 2013 - 7:30 PM
Angela, given your newspaper knowledge, I guess your profession, from which you have so kindly provided your 'professional view' (free of charge, might I add) must be bundling the local Quest community papers in readiness for delivery.James W Friday 1 February, 2013 - 2:07 PM
Carmen and LIARRR - you got your election, but how long will it take Abutt to get ready? Waving books at people will not do. People are asking what Abutt gonnna do and how he'll pay for it.Franco Friday 1 February, 2013 - 12:05 PM