- John Williamson on Album #50
- PMs frustration over access to MH17
- Fasten seat belts & flush your drugs?
- Parliament House $800 doorknob?
- Sydney facing homeless challenge
- NRL Monopoly: twitter goes viral
- Australia's record games gold haul
- Loo with a view a step too far?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kimber on Australia's record games gold haul This is the best news story and 'reality' TV in the last two weeks, will be sorry when it's all over, so proud of our ... more
- Kimber on Sydney Art: what do you think? This is a gaudy and grotesque waste of money, we have the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and even Centre Point ... more
- Tony on Terror links to Aussies in Syria Does anybody really think that these lowlife scum of the earth will ever see the inside of an Australian prision? What the ... more
- Loudon Cleary on What to call the new CBD sculpture? Artless, ugly, a mindless scribble that must have taken all of 30 seconds to conceive and draw. Jorn Utzen, where are you? more
- Join the Q Society on No place to top up Opal cards? I can't even find out how much want to charge me to buy one to get the honour of paying for a ride! more
- Jan McTiernan on Sculpture revealed for Sydney CBD It looks like it could be a lightening conductor.I hope no one dies from it.Cannot see it being a big tourist attraction. more
- Cleangirl on What to call the new CBD sculpture? The Wilted Clover. more
- Cleangirl on Work for Dole rules far too strict? You can`t have these guys doing nothing. Send the long termers off to pick fruit for 6 week stints, others to take up those ... more
- fabio on Work for Dole rules far too strict? Cheap CRUSADE against unemployed!Pick on the rich tax dodgers more
- Samuel J on What to call the new CBD sculpture? Well, I don't think it is a caricature of the shape of Clover Moore - it is more of a bastardised shape of body of Marilyn ... more
- carole on Sculpture revealed for Sydney CBD What a complete waste of our money. God save us from idiots.. more
- Laura on No place to top up Opal cards? Why hasn't the Govt. organised a solution regarding the purchase of OPAL tickets? this is a nightmare for all commuters ... more
- Mike on Sculpture revealed for Sydney CBD LooksÂ like Clover Moores brain and just as empty more
- James W on Work for the dole doesn't work Abetz tells Brisbane that a face to face meeting with an enployer is the proper way to apply for a job. 40 meetings a month ... more
- Paul Barnham on Sculpture revealed for Sydney CBD What a waste of money. I think it has a touch of the "Emperors new clothes" more
- Sean on Sculpture revealed for Sydney CBD Giant Tapeworm!Inject it into all the clowns at the council who decided to block up the streets with this ridiculous, ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Work for the dole doesn't work From what I can see, so called "volunteers" aka "work for the dole" in charities like Vinnies, Salvos, Smith Family etc is ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Work for Dole rules far too strict? Evidently all of these so called "free trade agreements" have decimated our job market. The days are long gone where you ... more
- Tony on Work for the dole doesn't work Of course work for the dole will not work for those who don't want to work! more
- Jester4212 on No place to top up Opal cards? Even with our horrible 'Myki' travel solution in Melbourne we can still top up at all train stations.Forget about these auto ... more
Police: no visible tattoos allowed?
A proposal to ban people with tattoos from joining the NSW police force is absurd, the state opposition says. Should police officers be allowed to have visible tattoos? Have Your Say!
Under the proposal being drafted for Commissioner Andrew Scipione, prospective police recruits with tattoos would be knocked back and current officers with tattoos would have to conceal them.
John Stanley with Assistant police commissioner Michael Corboy, one of the authors of the proposal, said the move was about professionalism and presenting the right look to the community.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Honestly i strongly think that Police should be able to. I believe they should because, as everyone else police have the right to get tattoos. Honestly you could be working in a bakery or a butcher and have a tattoo. So that is what i think. Police should have the right to be able to were tattoos without hiding themAndrew Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 5:24 PM
Tattoos on Police is an insult to the position that should require respect. How much respect do you think you have with Hinges tattooed on you inner arms or LEFT and RIGHT tattooed on your knuckles, not to mention whites with Mauri inkJohn Archer Monday 30 January, 2012 - 3:48 PM
It's about time we got up to date with changing attitudes to tattoos. Body piercings would be dangerous for a police officer involved in any altercations but tattoos do not impair their performance. People need to stop judging a book by the cover and equating any tattoos with criminal, undesirable elements. As to 'normal people' finding them offensive, maybe you arn't so normal, get over youself and respect someone else's decision. Have you ever thought sharing a love of a tattoo might be some way of police relating to people on the street?Ben Monday 30 January, 2012 - 1:20 PM
I hate tattoos. They are always ugly to look at and do nothing to enhance appearance. When I was a child, tatts. were frowned upon and synonymous with criminals and were not socially acceptable. There are still plenty of people around today who hold that view.Jan Monday 30 January, 2012 - 12:10 PM
Police are meant to be perceived as a role model for society and need to continue to build on their great visual respect for the community to feel comfortable and approachable.
Marking yourself with a tattoo is a personal choice however proudly displaying for the community within a professional industry environment is completely out of line.
Tattoos are an intimidating source and sometimes related to gangs
I agree that professional standards need to addressed and upheld.Intimidating tattoos Monday 30 January, 2012 - 10:24 AM
Large Visable Tattoos have No place in the Police force they look totally unprofessional.Glenn Logan Monday 30 January, 2012 - 7:36 AM