2UE - Fairfax Radio Network

What we're talking about

Sex appeal: boss pays hotel injury

Posted by: 2UE | 19 April, 2012 - 1:42 PM
ICAC hears of sex allegations as a reward for arranging meetings

The night in question was November 26, 2007.

The woman was employed in the HR department of a Commonwealth agency, aged in her late 30s.

She met a male friend on the night, they went back to the room and had sex. During sex, a glass light fitting dislodged and fell on to her, causing injuries to her nose and mouth.

The woman sought compensation, but when it was rejected by an appeals tribunal she took it one step further to the Federal Court. In a hearing last year, her barrister told the court that this injury was no different to slipping in the shower.

She said it came in the course of her employment because the motel room had been arranged and paid for by her boss.

The judgment today said “if the applicant had been injured while playing a game of cards in her motel room she would be entitled to compensation.”

The Two Murrays with Amy Dale, Court Reporter for the Daily Telegraph outlines the whole story and the outcome.


Share

Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter  

http://www.twitter.com/Radio2UE
Follow Radio2UE on Twitter

 

Blog comments Your Say

  • @ angus, we are already on the scrap heap the enemy within (Federal Government) have let in the Muslim Colonists!

    Don't pay th Carbon Tax! Saturday 21 April, 2012 - 5:34 AM
  • What type of sexual gymnastics were they doing in order for a light to fall on her? Another suss compensation claim!

    Peter Friday 20 April, 2012 - 2:37 PM
  • Having discussed this matter in a clear, concise and informative manner, while raising several valid points and drawing the discussion to its logical conclusion, I find that my self control and yea, my afternoon happy time snack of six mars bars and a six pack of red bull has spiked my sugar level to the point where I find myself slightly delerious and swinging upside down on the clothes line rattling out this chocolate spattered rave on my ipad whilst pondering the final question for the day before I fall from my rusty steed......Just What IS that lady of the lamps' phone number, who would I have to sleep with to get it, what the hell kind of mad sex would tear an otherwise securely anchored light fitting off a wall to send it careening across the room to wreak serious personal...erm...personnel damage to someone's snozz box....and what chance would there be that she might marry me on the first date.

    Danny Dix Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 11:29 PM
  • the hungry smart arse lawyer-liars are stuffing up australia...we need a law against lawyer-liars before we end up on the scrap heap. i think its too late already. its the 99% of lawyers who give the other 1% a bad name.

    angus Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 7:39 PM
  • I reckon Paul Murray's Daily Skits Rock!!!

    Daren Richardson Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 5:12 PM
  • I don't agree with the association of an injury caused by the chance dislodgment of a faulty building fixture with that of a personal inability to maintain an upward position by slipping in a shower.
    We all take a fair and reasonable risk in taking a shower. Most step from our shower intact. A few dont. Some dont take the risk. When we take to our bed (for whatever reason) we surely should have some expectation of safety. I take it that the accomodation was paid for by the dept. and that the accomodation was in the form of a room offered for rent by a commercial operation such as a hotel or motel. Given that the light fitting was installed and owned by the company and offered by that company as part of their rental contract with the dept, surely they should be responsible for the damages incurred. Not the taxpayer. When did the commonwealth (us) take over the public liability insurance payout of a private company?

    Danny Dix Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 3:07 PM

Post a comment * Mandatory fields