- Melissa Doyle to leave Sunrise
- Chaos: Latham on a return to Rudd
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- Street names that bring a giggle
- 2nd Sydney airport Badgery's Creek?
- Young boys boxing, at 11?
- Benefit cards for dole recipients?
- Let down by the justice system?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kimber on Benefit cards for dole recipients? Yes, absolutely, definitely, no question, if these people are willing to rely on the taxpayer funding their existence then ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on Young boys boxing, at 11? Obviously looking for trouble, copping direct hard hits to the head is clearly not healthy and very dangerous. There would ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on Benefit cards for dole recipients? This is absolutely essential, it is plainly common sense! Why has it not already been done?? What have all the movers & ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on James Gandolfini dead at 51 Only 51, that is a bit sobering! I wonder whether it was all worth it? Death comes like a thief in the night! There is ... more
- Peter on Benefit cards for dole recipients? Looking at the dregs of humanity that were against any type of card on ACA last night gives more credence to it being ... more
- yusuf on Let down by the justice system? Surprise surprise, Carmen is opting for Shariah law.Sorry Carmen you cant have it both ways.It is really sad how our so ... more
- Peter on 2nd Sydney airport Badgery's Creek? Get over it, we have a very good airport that is under utilised and all that stopping it being used to its fullest potential ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on Street names that bring a giggle Paul, sadly under the racist phobic, Labor government! We have become a very stupid, divided nation! No longer a smart ... more
- Elizabeth Passaro on Let down by the justice system? Bring back the death sentance. For all rapists, serial murderers & child sex affenders. I've always said. The law is only ... more
- CARMEN on Why are Catholic schools booming? Terence....More spew is pouring out of your mouth....You hopeless "NINCOMPOOPS"...A MAN WHO HOLDS ZERO PRINCIPLES...Perhaps ... more
- CARMEN on Benefit cards for dole recipients? ABSOLUTELY A BIG YES.....Dole recipients should only be getting the taxpayer funded monies FOR A SHORT TIME.....Every effort ... more
- CARMEN on Let down by the justice system? Capital punishment should be re-introduced.....NOBODY SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING'S LIFE AWAY UNDER ... more
- Zoran Grujic on Police set higher fine quotas? When will premier start to fix our hospitals what he promised before election more
- Angela Coombes on Police set higher fine quotas? @Jeff posting here I fully agree. O'Farrell and Co are a big deceitful let down of those of us who voted for Liberals. He is ... more
- Samuel J Kyrikos on Police set higher fine quotas? I agree abortionTruth. What is needed is more unmarked police cars to reign in those dangerous mugs tear arsing around in ... more
- The Real Problem on Police set higher fine quotas? There is nearly always a solution to every problem. Provided we dont allow the problem to grow to the point where it ... more
- James W on Let down by the justice system? Jill, her family and friends were let down by the Justice System well before sentencing. The lesson here is to look out for ... more
- Terrence on Time to lift drinking age to 21? The right-wing loonies consider prohibition, intolerance of crime, and harsh punishments as behaviour associated with ... more
- Jeff on Police set higher fine quotas? I vote for Barry because he promised to keep the electric grid and get rid of the money making camera's. He's sold most of ... more
- Jeff on Male voters flee Labor in latest poll Next election this is how I would voteJulia VS Tony Kevin VS Tony With Carbon tax Kevin Vs Tony Kevin drops the carbon tax. more
Should English become mandatory?
Should it be compulsory to speak English if immigrating to Australia? Accents are not an issue, but an ability to communicate. Jason Morrison on why it is not a requirement, and why we lack backbone.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Australia Day is a time to reflect on how far we have come from humble beginnings. Particularly the way we understand each other and the way we speak. Stuart Bocking on our unique accent and turn of speech.
Getting behind the news and behind the political party machine. Paul Murray speaks with former Labor Opposition Leader Mark Latham about picking celebrity MP candidates to run for the party at elections.
jason, your comments are 100% correct i for one are sick of these groups laughing at our laws and us.lindsay ball Monday 28 January, 2013 - 6:05 PM
Jason asked the question. Carmen said the reason why.Liberator Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 10:55 AM
Is this the burning issue of the moment? How many people are challenging the position of English that we now have to consider making English mandatory? Let's crank it up a bit so we get a few more redneck loonies on this forum!
Everyone (who has studied) knows that English IS mandatory in Australia. The reality is that new non-English speaking immigrants become desperate to improve their English in their desire to progress quickly in their new society. Statistics will show a large segment of immigrants actually lose fluency in their language of birth after living here for a generation. Even if they don't lose it completely, for a large majority of them English gradually becomes their first language. So any notion of threat to English is far-fetched.
Jason must be having a hard time finding issues now that the fear campaign against carbon pricing and the PMÃ¢Â?Â?s character have run their course. This is a non-issue raised with malicious intent just as another one Jason is running with at the same time where we are asked the absurd question: "Halal food being sold in every store?" What a revelation!Terrence Saturday 26 January, 2013 - 12:32 PM
What a stupid question! Give it a bit more air Jason. How about "Should immigrants be allowed to not speak english?" Let's crank it up a bit so we get a few more redneck loonies on this forum!
Everyone (who has studied) knows that English IS mandatory in Australia. New non-english speaking arrivals fall head over heels to learn english in their desperation to progress quickly in their new society. Statistics will show that a large segment of immigrants actually lose fluency in their birth language after living here for a few years. Even if they don't lose it completely, for a large majority of them English becomes the first language over time.
There is no issue here, except in the minds of those who want to stir things up for partisan politics. It is put up with the same intent as another absurd one which asks "Halal food being sold in every store?" What a revelation!Terrence Saturday 26 January, 2013 - 12:54 AM
Mmm, is it politically correct and discriminative to not look after the real Australian? Well like many Australians I too feel that today we are so busy looking after every ethnic and not our own that it is really discrimination against the anglo saxon Australian. They arrive on our shores illegally but receive everything on a sliver platter, housing, pension and more than just your average pension but more money because they are a refugee and then money to help buy a house. So why would they need to go out and learn English because there is no need, they do need to go out and earn a living because we do that for them.
In their first year of residing here in this wonderful country of ours it should be compulsory to take English lessons.
I am tired of going to Woolworths or Coles and listening to the staff speak in a foreign tongue, I have no idea what they are saying and if they are saying anything negative.
Unfortunately Dick Smith can not air his advertisement because it could offend some, well I find their ignorance towards us and their rudeness for not taking the time to speak our language extremely offensive.
When attending TAFE to learn the language we Australians speak they should be made to assimilate with the broader community and get rid of their negative and ultra religious beliefs.GinX Friday 25 January, 2013 - 6:48 PM
Yes. It should be compulsory to LEARN in English. Having said that, I don't object with tax payers funding the classes.Liberator Friday 25 January, 2013 - 8:41 AM