- State's top silk before the ICAC
- Red tape and double standards?
- Cooks Companion gets a garnish
- Our forgotten homeless veterans
- Jet pack designed for police
- News Forum: the issues of the week
- Boomers accused of retiring on dole
- Fast Facts on The Children's Hospital at Westmead
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Roberto Georgio on Nova Peris sets back race relations? obviously not very impressed with whites, but happy to take there hard earned money. more
- Barry G on Sydney kids calls for Islamic caliphate By By , Thanks Rudd AND Gillard ,,Seeya Australia. more
- Cleangirl on Nova Peris sets back race relations? Claims to be the victim here ??? more
- Tony on Sydney kids calls for Islamic caliphate And as if the police will get anywhere? These people seem to be able to do whatever they want too, whenever they want too, ... more
- NO MONEY NO HONEY on New Gold Opal card for Seniors Beware, the scheming movers & shaker's agenda is to make a $cashless society. more
- Keith A Tudor on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? @ Realistic-Canberra - well said indeed. It is quite sickening the mess Madame Gillard left us all - including the abject ... more
- Join the Q Society on Sydney turns blind eye to homeless No they don't, when the nameless arrived on leaky boats they were given Government housing, white goods and the never ending ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? Senator Nova Peris was always going to be just another one of failed prime minister JuLia Gillard's sick jokes. No wonder ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Sydney turns blind eye to homeless Our grandstanding, uncaring governments, both Labor/Green & Liberal are donating countless $billions of borrowed $$dollars ... more
- Cleangirl on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? The Token job placer should also stand down, disgraceful. more
- peter on Excise lift: Petrol prices set to rise get more attention on pump price we should be paying after lower crude price drop , why the lag in price drop we pay through ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Why paying more for petrol stinks! I remember the big con, the panic, scare campaign 40 years ago when we were told we would run out of oil within 5 years and ... more
- Greg O on Excise lift: Petrol prices set to rise Well something has to rise if any Government no matter who it might be is going to pay back the massive debt that the Kevin ... more
- Cleangirl on Why paying more for petrol stinks! why not 40c on Dog food, or a charge for cyclists ? Motoring is a necessity. more
- EMPTY TANK on The Whisper: Woolies Woes I wish greedy Woolies and Coles would be stopped from messing about with petrol $prices? This a very big election issue... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin Evidently these days Aussies have got no money to bid with...so much for so called free trade, well done big Joe? more
- Bao Tran on Who let 11yo runaway stay 2 nights? Good question. This day and age you have to be either very brave or very stupid. It shows how society is now. What if it was ... more
- Tanya on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin We wanted to buy an investment property a few years ago. Looked at a lot of different agents, but one of them most ... more
- Joanne L. on Who let 11yo runaway stay 2 nights? After what happened to Daniel Morcombe, I feared the worse, thank God she is alright...there is a very big lesson here for ... more
- Barry G on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin By By Australia , A special thanks to Gough Whitlam for those big reforms , more Labor disasters from back then and many ... more
Should English become mandatory?
Should it be compulsory to speak English if immigrating to Australia? Accents are not an issue, but an ability to communicate. Jason Morrison on why it is not a requirement, and why we lack backbone.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Australia Day is a time to reflect on how far we have come from humble beginnings. Particularly the way we understand each other and the way we speak. Stuart Bocking on our unique accent and turn of speech.
Getting behind the news and behind the political party machine. Paul Murray speaks with former Labor Opposition Leader Mark Latham about picking celebrity MP candidates to run for the party at elections.
jason, your comments are 100% correct i for one are sick of these groups laughing at our laws and us.lindsay ball Monday 28 January, 2013 - 6:05 PM
Jason asked the question. Carmen said the reason why.Liberator Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 10:55 AM
Is this the burning issue of the moment? How many people are challenging the position of English that we now have to consider making English mandatory? Let's crank it up a bit so we get a few more redneck loonies on this forum!
Everyone (who has studied) knows that English IS mandatory in Australia. The reality is that new non-English speaking immigrants become desperate to improve their English in their desire to progress quickly in their new society. Statistics will show a large segment of immigrants actually lose fluency in their language of birth after living here for a generation. Even if they don't lose it completely, for a large majority of them English gradually becomes their first language. So any notion of threat to English is far-fetched.
Jason must be having a hard time finding issues now that the fear campaign against carbon pricing and the PMÃ¢Â?Â?s character have run their course. This is a non-issue raised with malicious intent just as another one Jason is running with at the same time where we are asked the absurd question: "Halal food being sold in every store?" What a revelation!Terrence Saturday 26 January, 2013 - 12:32 PM
What a stupid question! Give it a bit more air Jason. How about "Should immigrants be allowed to not speak english?" Let's crank it up a bit so we get a few more redneck loonies on this forum!
Everyone (who has studied) knows that English IS mandatory in Australia. New non-english speaking arrivals fall head over heels to learn english in their desperation to progress quickly in their new society. Statistics will show that a large segment of immigrants actually lose fluency in their birth language after living here for a few years. Even if they don't lose it completely, for a large majority of them English becomes the first language over time.
There is no issue here, except in the minds of those who want to stir things up for partisan politics. It is put up with the same intent as another absurd one which asks "Halal food being sold in every store?" What a revelation!Terrence Saturday 26 January, 2013 - 12:54 AM
Mmm, is it politically correct and discriminative to not look after the real Australian? Well like many Australians I too feel that today we are so busy looking after every ethnic and not our own that it is really discrimination against the anglo saxon Australian. They arrive on our shores illegally but receive everything on a sliver platter, housing, pension and more than just your average pension but more money because they are a refugee and then money to help buy a house. So why would they need to go out and learn English because there is no need, they do need to go out and earn a living because we do that for them.
In their first year of residing here in this wonderful country of ours it should be compulsory to take English lessons.
I am tired of going to Woolworths or Coles and listening to the staff speak in a foreign tongue, I have no idea what they are saying and if they are saying anything negative.
Unfortunately Dick Smith can not air his advertisement because it could offend some, well I find their ignorance towards us and their rudeness for not taking the time to speak our language extremely offensive.
When attending TAFE to learn the language we Australians speak they should be made to assimilate with the broader community and get rid of their negative and ultra religious beliefs.GinX Friday 25 January, 2013 - 6:48 PM
Yes. It should be compulsory to LEARN in English. Having said that, I don't object with tax payers funding the classes.Liberator Friday 25 January, 2013 - 8:41 AM