- Sydney jihadi threatens attack
- Clive Palmer calls for elections
- Our biggest fear is public speaking
- The Whisper: Gay Bushrangers?
- 20-years for violent toddler murder
- Alcohol abuse: the wake-up call
- Greens Senator denies asylum stirring
- Ray 'Rabbits' Warren: The Voice
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- James W on A Fair Go for Seniors - Forum United you stand, divided you fall. Sounds a little like a song. About time Seniors formed a Union. What a formidable force ... more
- Gary on No place to top up Opal cards? I've had a Opal card for months, fantastic, best thing ever for public transport. I ordered it online, it arrived in the ... more
- James on Veggie garden for Pyrmont Bridge? Typical. Despite the inordinate number of junkets to places like Japan where they have rules to manage crowds which everyone ... more
- NOT SURPRISED... on Moree shooting: tension in the bush In my dealings with some very arrogant government departments, they can be quite rude and show little tact, often they make ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Warning on home grown terror But hang on a minute islam is such a bloody "peaceful religion" so what is Attorney-General George Brandis so damned ... more
- Greg O on Sydney facing homeless challenge New public housing estates look very impressive but there is never enough of them. It seems to be a case of we either give ... more
- James W on Parliament House $800 doorknob? Yeah, they must be punished for leaving us with a 3 X AAA rated economy and continuing on the 20 odd years of unbroken ... more
- Angela Coombes on Parliament House $800 doorknob? What about the framed portraits of Gillard and Rudd within the National Parliament - I would prefer just blank frames ... more
- Samuel J James on Work for Dole rules far too strict? @Sloppy Joe Hokey - you are 1000% correct. Simply put, it is government of the money, by the money for the money indeed! Of ... more
- Samuel J on PMs frustration over access to MH17 The ex KGB thug, presently the so called President of Russia has been as helpful regarding the recovery of the bodies of the ... more
- Terrence on Work for the dole doesn't work They ought to get Abbott do 40 applications and see what it is like. This guy has no clue how to run the government and ... more
- Terrence on PM discusses the issues on 2UE Abbott is trying his best to milk this so his unpopular budget and his lies and deceit do not stay in the headlines. It does ... more
- ahmed on No place to top up Opal cards? Typical third world Sydney transport solution.Why didnt they think of the opal card years ago and iron out problems before ... more
- alfredo on What to call the new CBD sculpture? Clover Moore and Alex Greenwich are the type of pollies this country really needs!! more
- paulo on Sydney facing homeless challenge Housing should be a human right.The government should make rules that require building companies to build cheap housing ... more
- Cleangirl on Sydney Art: what do you think? Much too much money, and I thought Art was something to appreciate, something not just anyone can do and something clever. more
- Gary on Work for Dole rules far too strict? As for FTA's, the fact is Australia is a net exporter to the countries that we have an FTA with. So we sell more than we ... more
- Gary on Work for Dole rules far too strict? Pick on the rich tax dodgers.Unfortunately the facts don't support your claim, the truth is the top 20% of tax payers are ... more
- Robyn on Sculpture revealed for Sydney CBD Could be a shapely woman more
- Norman Hanscombe on McClymont: He who must be Obeid As someone who began working on ALP Polling Booths over 70 years ago, it's sad that we need journalists like Kate McClymont ... more
Single parent anger at new changes
Since January 1, people whose youngest child turned 8 are no longer eligible for single parenting payments and moved onto a lower Newstart allowance. Jason Morrison with one parent fighting the move.
An organiser of a protest rally outside Parliament House next month, Samantha Seymour, says the concession card helped her with pharmaceutical, public transport and utility costs.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
The Gillard government has drawn the ire of welfare and community groups by moving single parents onto the Newstart allowance when their youngest child turns eight, regardless of when they started receiving payments.
In 2006, the former Howard government began the process but ensured eligible parents who were already receiving the payments could continue to do so until their youngest child turned 16.
This exemption has now been closed in a bid to save the federal budget more than $700 million over four years.
The move to Newstart will mean the maximum support drops by $65 to about $267 a week. Newstart also has stricter rules about how much additional income a person can earn before the allowance is reduced. (Via SMH).
Johannes further get rid of sperm donation totally, a lot of money for nothing from the public purse, put it towards Blood donation.mick Tuesday 15 January, 2013 - 1:48 PM
Johannes why are the mothers not paying at all when fathers are custodians of the children, or why should fathers pay the mother and the mother not pay the fathers when it is equal and joint custody. Why is it there is no checking, because the alimony paid is not being spent on the kids.mick Tuesday 15 January, 2013 - 1:44 PM
If you are going to hit the lowest earners in the country with a reduction like this, then there is absolutely no justification to then give it away to cashed up kids as a first home loaners grant, nor can you justify giving it away as a baby bonus. As a taxpayer, the whole idea is to give our money to people who need it to stay alive, not to people who want babies & houses. Maybe keeping your family safe & fed isn't a primary priority any more. Mind you, be very clear that this wouldn't be happening if there weren't so many scabrous dole cheats. They've partially caused this, so thank them as well.Coasty Tuesday 15 January, 2013 - 8:17 AM
Contemporaneously these lying commo Labor hypocrites are donating and squandering countless$ billions of dollars [borrowed from communist China] to countries who obviously dislike us but love our money! Thus Labor have no money left for struggling Aussies needing our urgent help.www.abortiontruth.com Monday 14 January, 2013 - 8:20 PM
Why aren`t the fathers paying their share to the single mothers, even sperm donors snould be required to list their names on their childs birth certificates.
That`ll stop any unnessacary payments pronto, and the kids will know who their Daddy is.Johannes. Monday 14 January, 2013 - 7:28 PM