- Was John Howard our best PM?
- Light rail to service Greater West
- Is terrorism behind missing plane?
- Will Crimea be engulfed in war?
- Why is Sydney so expensive?
- Leo Sayer: why he became an Aussie
- Bees buzzing all over Sydney's CBD?
- Ok to leave baby behind on holidays?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gary on Too late to stop climate change now? I simply let the facts talk to me and as Garry Linnell stated it was warmer 27 years ago. So where is the evidence of ... more
- helen on Scrap the My School website? Hello Angela, have just read Peter 'Fitz' remarks re your morning show. Agree! you are a delight to tune into each ... more
- David T. on Do we still need a Women's Day? In my experience, every day is Women's Day. more
- David T. on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? How "bloody" stupid. Government, stay out of our lives. more
- David T. on Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali Break another country's laws and you can expect to be treated according to their law. I have no sympathy for thede ... more
- Rod M on Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali To me it seems very clear why journos are being booted out of Bali. Their courts expect people to abide by the spirit and ... more
- Mary on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? What a waste of the tax payers money, why not give it to hospitals... they need it more. more
- Kimber on Scrap the My School website? Well said @Coasty!!! :) more
- Kimber on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? OMG, pay people to lose weight, pay people to quit smoking, now this.From the time kids can eat solid food fruit and ... more
- Jester4212 on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? Why why why must the govenrment become involved?! Even for parents to pay their children to do this is unbelieveable. They ... more
- Coasty on Scrap the My School website? Ridiculous. I'm now finding the teaching industry has gotten hysterical & political. The My Schools website was one of the ... more
- Jester4212 on A pizza stuffed with cheeseburgers? I can't believe what I'm watching. Disgusting. more
- William Coleman on Drugs & alcohol affecting our schools The classroom today is yesterdays psychiatric ward. more
- William Coleman on Chinese buying up Sydney housing? So the big money comes to oz and home prices soar .Meanwhile we buy products from Asian countries because it is so cheap due ... more
- Jester4212 on Should we pay people to lose weight? Cold hard cash is a complete cop-out, just like the baby bonus. I'm all for wanting to help these people out. But have ... more
- Greg O on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Of course Kevin will stop the war and I have no doubt he will also help the Russians tackle global warming by putting pink ... more
- Coasty on Sydney's outbreak of ablutophobia No-one minds backpackers. They're great. I was one & I want my kids to do it. The problem here, is one that's all too ... more
- Cleangirl on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Kevin ? Twins sharing the same name. Why is he allowed in with the U.N ? Why do we even financially support both Kevin and ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on What frustrates you on our trains? What frustrates you on our trains?That they refuse to supply a mobile number so that we can give them live updates of ... more
- Jester4212 on Sydney's outbreak of ablutophobia Well said. more
Single parent anger at new changes
Since January 1, people whose youngest child turned 8 are no longer eligible for single parenting payments and moved onto a lower Newstart allowance. Jason Morrison with one parent fighting the move.
An organiser of a protest rally outside Parliament House next month, Samantha Seymour, says the concession card helped her with pharmaceutical, public transport and utility costs.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
The Gillard government has drawn the ire of welfare and community groups by moving single parents onto the Newstart allowance when their youngest child turns eight, regardless of when they started receiving payments.
In 2006, the former Howard government began the process but ensured eligible parents who were already receiving the payments could continue to do so until their youngest child turned 16.
This exemption has now been closed in a bid to save the federal budget more than $700 million over four years.
The move to Newstart will mean the maximum support drops by $65 to about $267 a week. Newstart also has stricter rules about how much additional income a person can earn before the allowance is reduced. (Via SMH).
Johannes further get rid of sperm donation totally, a lot of money for nothing from the public purse, put it towards Blood donation.mick Tuesday 15 January, 2013 - 1:48 PM
Johannes why are the mothers not paying at all when fathers are custodians of the children, or why should fathers pay the mother and the mother not pay the fathers when it is equal and joint custody. Why is it there is no checking, because the alimony paid is not being spent on the kids.mick Tuesday 15 January, 2013 - 1:44 PM
If you are going to hit the lowest earners in the country with a reduction like this, then there is absolutely no justification to then give it away to cashed up kids as a first home loaners grant, nor can you justify giving it away as a baby bonus. As a taxpayer, the whole idea is to give our money to people who need it to stay alive, not to people who want babies & houses. Maybe keeping your family safe & fed isn't a primary priority any more. Mind you, be very clear that this wouldn't be happening if there weren't so many scabrous dole cheats. They've partially caused this, so thank them as well.Coasty Tuesday 15 January, 2013 - 8:17 AM
Contemporaneously these lying commo Labor hypocrites are donating and squandering countless$ billions of dollars [borrowed from communist China] to countries who obviously dislike us but love our money! Thus Labor have no money left for struggling Aussies needing our urgent help.www.abortiontruth.com Monday 14 January, 2013 - 8:20 PM
Why aren`t the fathers paying their share to the single mothers, even sperm donors snould be required to list their names on their childs birth certificates.
That`ll stop any unnessacary payments pronto, and the kids will know who their Daddy is.Johannes. Monday 14 January, 2013 - 7:28 PM