- Nova Peris sets back race relations?
- 2UE Summer of Cricket
- Pop to Popism at Art Gallery of NSW
- New Gold Opal card for Seniors
- Men now reluctant to help kids?
- Sydney kids calls for Islamic caliphate
- Recycling everyday food scraps
- Joe Hockey's spat at red tape
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tony on Sydney kids calls for Islamic caliphate And as if the police will get anywhere? These people seem to be able to do whatever they want too, whenever they want too, ... more
- NO MONEY NO HONEY on New Gold Opal card for Seniors Beware, the scheming movers & shaker's agenda is to make a $cashless society. more
- Keith A Tudor on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? @ Realistic-Canberra - well said indeed. It is quite sickening the mess Madame Gillard left us all - including the abject ... more
- Join the Q Society on Sydney turns blind eye to homeless No they don't, when the nameless arrived on leaky boats they were given Government housing, white goods and the never ending ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? Senator Nova Peris was always going to be just another one of failed prime minister JuLia Gillard's sick jokes. No wonder ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Sydney turns blind eye to homeless Our grandstanding, uncaring governments, both Labor/Green & Liberal are donating countless $billions of borrowed $$dollars ... more
- Cleangirl on Should Nova Peris quit the Senate? The Token job placer should also stand down, disgraceful. more
- peter on Excise lift: Petrol prices set to rise get more attention on pump price we should be paying after lower crude price drop , why the lag in price drop we pay through ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Why paying more for petrol stinks! I remember the big con, the panic, scare campaign 40 years ago when we were told we would run out of oil within 5 years and ... more
- Greg O on Excise lift: Petrol prices set to rise Well something has to rise if any Government no matter who it might be is going to pay back the massive debt that the Kevin ... more
- Cleangirl on Why paying more for petrol stinks! why not 40c on Dog food, or a charge for cyclists ? Motoring is a necessity. more
- EMPTY TANK on The Whisper: Woolies Woes I wish greedy Woolies and Coles would be stopped from messing about with petrol $prices? This a very big election issue... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin Evidently these days Aussies have got no money to bid with...so much for so called free trade, well done big Joe? more
- Bao Tran on Who let 11yo runaway stay 2 nights? Good question. This day and age you have to be either very brave or very stupid. It shows how society is now. What if it was ... more
- Tanya on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin We wanted to buy an investment property a few years ago. Looked at a lot of different agents, but one of them most ... more
- Joanne L. on Who let 11yo runaway stay 2 nights? After what happened to Daniel Morcombe, I feared the worse, thank God she is alright...there is a very big lesson here for ... more
- Barry G on Sydney auctions held in Mandarin By By Australia , A special thanks to Gough Whitlam for those big reforms , more Labor disasters from back then and many ... more
- Paul on Why no fines for smoke butt tossers? Yes it does bug me when people throw their cigarette butts, thats why I've videoed these idiots to embarrass them on ... more
- Cleangirl on Why no fines for smoke butt tossers? or Cyclists running red lights, cars not using blinkers, people eating on the train, allowing dogs on ovals, dogs in school ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Why no fines for smoke butt tossers? I have on occasions got out of my car picked up the lit butt and tossed it onto their back seat and once I dropped it into ... more
Thomson arrested by fraud squad
Breaking News: Federal MP Craig Thomson has been arrested at his electoral office. Members of the NSW fraud squad on Thursday executed an arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and Extortion Squad.
The embattled MP faces 150 charges of fraud after being arrested by police on the state's Central Coast over the Health Services Union scandal.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Independent MP Craig Thomson is maintaining his innocence after being charged with fraud relating to his time as an offical at the Health Services Union.
He's been granted conditional bail this afternoon to front court in Melbourne next week.
He faces 149 charges that weren't tabled in court today due to a printing error.
Mr Thomson says he's sure he'll be cleared.
Meantime, the Thomson saga has come back to haunt Prime Minister Julia Gillard on her newly-announced election campaign as Federal Political Reporter Francis Keany reports.
Disgraced former Labor MP Craig Thomson will face court in Melbourne next month on fraud charges relating to his time as an official at the Health Services Union.
Mr Thomson has represented himself at Wyong Local Court on the state's Central Coast - after being arrested this afternoon.
Jason Morrison speak with Michael Smith, the former 2UE broadcaster who initially started the ball rolling on the story that is now before the courts.
The lawyer for embattled Independent MP Craig Thomson has accused authorities of being 'heavy-handed' after his client was arrested and charged with fraud.
Mr Thomson is out on bail but will face a Melbourne Court on a raft of offences relating to his time as a union official.
But his lawyer Chris McArdle says his client faces only trivial offences. He has labeled two prison guards as 'goons', as he tells Dicko & Sarah Mr Thomson is feeling dreadful after his arrest and subsequent court appearance yesterday.
Police Minister Mike Gallacher says if Craig Thomson believes officers were "heavy handed" during his arrest - than the embattled Federal M-P should make a formal complaint.
Mr Thomson's lawyer says his client was arrested by five police before being stripped searched by prison officers in an attempt to intimidate him.
But Mr Gallacher says he's yet to receive a complaint.
The state's prisons boss says a "strip-search" of Federal MP Craig Thomson during his arrest was not designed to intimidate him.
Corrective Services Commissioner Peter Severin is rejecting claims his officers acted like "goons" when strip searching Craig Thomson yesterday following his arrest.
Thomson's lawyer has lashed out at the officers for the way they treated his client after picking him up at his Central Coast Office to face union fraud charges.
Peter Severin has told Paul Murray his officers did nothing wrong.
In October last year police raided Mr Thomson's Bateau Bay home as well as his electoral office.
They took away large boxes of material.
Mr Thomson was national secretary of the HSU from 2002 until 2007 when he was elected to Parliament. Earlier last year he was suspended from the ALP and has been sitting as an independent in parliament since that time.
Mr Thomson will be taken to the local police station where he will be charged with a multitude of fraud-related offences.
His expected to appear in Tuggerah court later today in order to apply for bail. Mr Thomson has continued to maintain his innocence. He is also facing civil proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia relating to allegations that he improperly used union funds for his own benefit.
Kate McClymont via SMH
Statement from Victoria Police:New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
Statement from NSW Police:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
NO James W. The 'Peter principle' in management professes a key word, son - it is 'incompetence' not competence - because they have none! Moreover, they can tend to rise way above their level of incompetence - they do not have competence to begin with clown! You are as thick as two naval bollards, son! Little wonder you are a diehard labor party supporter.Jonathon L Benson Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 7:29 AM
Actually James, you are probably right in one aspect; that being that we, as individuals, don't have wherewithall to fully contest your statements. We don't have the power of Labor's "spin machine" behind us for research; and probably your expertise in distorting the truth. However, if you go back on your posts, you will find that many (most??) of yours repeat the same details and you are starting to sound like a cracked record. In this, can I remind you that neither you, nor your "alter-ego" have denied being the one person, nor have you denied being "attack puppies of Labor's spin dept". Also, for the sake of record, I am a private individual and am not posting on behalf of any political party.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:08 PM
mick, are you for real? mick logic ... at it's finest(funnier than mickonomics - yeah I couldn't believe that was possible either) .. "Of course none of us can ever ref(r)ute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that". In that case mick, even an 'intellectual giant' of your stature, should be able to counter my claims.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 1:18 PM
Embattled Craig and Juliarr vigorously claim their innocence? Well if it was me in their position. I would be tested by a fool-proof lie detector machine by the FBI. That would clearly settle their matter very quickly???www.toomanyaborted.com Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:10 PM
Of course none of us can ever refrute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that. James W you simpleton. Rotten just like the rest of labor, even thier own MPs are circling while the pet wackos are deserting HMMESS Labor Garbage Barge.mick Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:48 AM
Maybe I don't support everything OUR government propose, David T. The likes of mick, hollow drums (mick's term), would like to shut up those who don't agree with their point of view, probably because they don't have the where with all to argue their case.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:02 AM