- How to attract the perfect partner?
- Wendy Matthews: Campfire Festival
- Jodi McKay to contest Strathfield
- Too many truck accidents
- The lone wolf: who is watching?
- McSchools for fast food education
- Rabbi's response to Greens Grinch
- Creep filming bums on beaches
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN on Too many truck accidents The police need to get with the times, technology can go a long way in stopping rogue truck drivers and other crime. ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Greens Grinch against Christmas @Judith - well said. They are also a band of wanton lunatics that should never be allowed to enter any form of public ... more
- peter on The lone wolf: who is watching? as long as the lone wolf starts at the top and works his way down the food chain it wont affect most Australianspollies then ... more
- MARY CHRISTMAS on Greens Grinch against Christmas So called religious tolerance is only for certain types and certainly not for Christians. Christianity is the most ... more
- Janelle on Greens Grinch against Christmas The Greens councillor from Woollahra has a point in that the function he is referring to is to be funded by the Woollahra ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on The lone wolf: who is watching? It would not be so bad if there were only "one lone wolf", however these so called lone wolves pop up like mushrooms hidden ... more
- Cleangirl on Greens Grinch against Christmas The Greens are ruining Australia with their Political Correctness terrorism. more
- Join the Q Society on Why has Balibo 5 inquiry stopped? Cleangirl has said it all! more
- Join the Q Society on Greens Grinch against Christmas The Local Government Minster should sack this ^&*(%$ person! more
- Leon on Greens Grinch against Christmas You want to celebrate a fairy tale do it at home. I'm sick of the child abuse that comes with brainwashing children. more
- Tony on Greens Grinch against Christmas Another stupid Green moron steps up to the PC plate and tries to force his brand of nonsensical clap trap down everybodys ... more
- Judyth Kelly on Greens Grinch against Christmas Dear Stuart,The alderman is hiding behind his atheist beliefs and inferring the complaints are coming from either the Jewish ... more
- PEACEFUL ISLAM? on Canberra faces similar Ottawa threat? And our weak, obfuscating Liberal Prime Minister Tony Abbott does not want to ban the burqa, like sensible France? Dear oh ... more
- SMILING CAPTAIN EMAD.. on Canberra faces similar Ottawa threat? Lets get the "sorry" Labor/Greens party to take charge of our national security!! more
- Tejas on Why has Balibo 5 inquiry stopped? Well said Justin. Very passionate. Clearly it seems the government has put pressure on the AFP here. Basically so as to not ... more
- REALISTIC-CANBERRA on Aussie jihadist signs death warrant? What do you really expect now with undisciplined young teenagers behaving like gangsters on our very own lawless streets. ... more
- SMILING CAPTAIN EMAD.. on Why has Balibo 5 inquiry stopped? Hardly surprising is it! What do you really expect, when our fearless untouchables the Australian Federal Police sat there ... more
- Tejas on Equip police with video cameras Actually I am personally not surprised the civil libertarians are supporting it. We all know about police brutality. They ... more
- Cleangirl on Why has Balibo 5 inquiry stopped? Political Correctness does not allow questioning Islamic nations or their practices. more
- James W on Woolies pulls "offensive" singlets I took the advice. I didn't love Woolworths one day and so I left. Went to Aldi. i've been back to Woolies since, the T ... more
Thomson arrested by fraud squad
Breaking News: Federal MP Craig Thomson has been arrested at his electoral office. Members of the NSW fraud squad on Thursday executed an arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and Extortion Squad.
The embattled MP faces 150 charges of fraud after being arrested by police on the state's Central Coast over the Health Services Union scandal.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Independent MP Craig Thomson is maintaining his innocence after being charged with fraud relating to his time as an offical at the Health Services Union.
He's been granted conditional bail this afternoon to front court in Melbourne next week.
He faces 149 charges that weren't tabled in court today due to a printing error.
Mr Thomson says he's sure he'll be cleared.
Meantime, the Thomson saga has come back to haunt Prime Minister Julia Gillard on her newly-announced election campaign as Federal Political Reporter Francis Keany reports.
Disgraced former Labor MP Craig Thomson will face court in Melbourne next month on fraud charges relating to his time as an official at the Health Services Union.
Mr Thomson has represented himself at Wyong Local Court on the state's Central Coast - after being arrested this afternoon.
Jason Morrison speak with Michael Smith, the former 2UE broadcaster who initially started the ball rolling on the story that is now before the courts.
The lawyer for embattled Independent MP Craig Thomson has accused authorities of being 'heavy-handed' after his client was arrested and charged with fraud.
Mr Thomson is out on bail but will face a Melbourne Court on a raft of offences relating to his time as a union official.
But his lawyer Chris McArdle says his client faces only trivial offences. He has labeled two prison guards as 'goons', as he tells Dicko & Sarah Mr Thomson is feeling dreadful after his arrest and subsequent court appearance yesterday.
Police Minister Mike Gallacher says if Craig Thomson believes officers were "heavy handed" during his arrest - than the embattled Federal M-P should make a formal complaint.
Mr Thomson's lawyer says his client was arrested by five police before being stripped searched by prison officers in an attempt to intimidate him.
But Mr Gallacher says he's yet to receive a complaint.
The state's prisons boss says a "strip-search" of Federal MP Craig Thomson during his arrest was not designed to intimidate him.
Corrective Services Commissioner Peter Severin is rejecting claims his officers acted like "goons" when strip searching Craig Thomson yesterday following his arrest.
Thomson's lawyer has lashed out at the officers for the way they treated his client after picking him up at his Central Coast Office to face union fraud charges.
Peter Severin has told Paul Murray his officers did nothing wrong.
In October last year police raided Mr Thomson's Bateau Bay home as well as his electoral office.
They took away large boxes of material.
Mr Thomson was national secretary of the HSU from 2002 until 2007 when he was elected to Parliament. Earlier last year he was suspended from the ALP and has been sitting as an independent in parliament since that time.
Mr Thomson will be taken to the local police station where he will be charged with a multitude of fraud-related offences.
His expected to appear in Tuggerah court later today in order to apply for bail. Mr Thomson has continued to maintain his innocence. He is also facing civil proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia relating to allegations that he improperly used union funds for his own benefit.
Kate McClymont via SMH
Statement from Victoria Police:New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
Statement from NSW Police:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
NO James W. The 'Peter principle' in management professes a key word, son - it is 'incompetence' not competence - because they have none! Moreover, they can tend to rise way above their level of incompetence - they do not have competence to begin with clown! You are as thick as two naval bollards, son! Little wonder you are a diehard labor party supporter.Jonathon L Benson Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 7:29 AM
Actually James, you are probably right in one aspect; that being that we, as individuals, don't have wherewithall to fully contest your statements. We don't have the power of Labor's "spin machine" behind us for research; and probably your expertise in distorting the truth. However, if you go back on your posts, you will find that many (most??) of yours repeat the same details and you are starting to sound like a cracked record. In this, can I remind you that neither you, nor your "alter-ego" have denied being the one person, nor have you denied being "attack puppies of Labor's spin dept". Also, for the sake of record, I am a private individual and am not posting on behalf of any political party.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:08 PM
mick, are you for real? mick logic ... at it's finest(funnier than mickonomics - yeah I couldn't believe that was possible either) .. "Of course none of us can ever ref(r)ute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that". In that case mick, even an 'intellectual giant' of your stature, should be able to counter my claims.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 1:18 PM
Embattled Craig and Juliarr vigorously claim their innocence? Well if it was me in their position. I would be tested by a fool-proof lie detector machine by the FBI. That would clearly settle their matter very quickly???www.toomanyaborted.com Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:10 PM
Of course none of us can ever refrute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that. James W you simpleton. Rotten just like the rest of labor, even thier own MPs are circling while the pet wackos are deserting HMMESS Labor Garbage Barge.mick Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:48 AM
Maybe I don't support everything OUR government propose, David T. The likes of mick, hollow drums (mick's term), would like to shut up those who don't agree with their point of view, probably because they don't have the where with all to argue their case.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:02 AM