- Sydney 500: Mark Skaife on 2UE
- Tributes flow for Nelson Mandela
- Would you pay $580 for the Stones?
- Gay marriage: seeking equality?
- Qantas: should Alan Joyce resign?
- Our planet: are things getting better?
- Volunteers deserve our thanks!
- What do you love about Sydney?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- ahmed on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? Most bikie gangs are made up of anglo saxons, yet we dont say European Bikie gangs.Not sure if this geographical ... more
- ahmed on Crime in Sydney funding jihadists? No doubt there is a link.However dont use that as an excuse to demonize lebanese Aussies like some people do ... more
- Jester4212 on Lingerie football: is it sexist? Saying that it's sexist is like saying that bikinis are sexist. What a load of rubbish!Think of it as a group of women ... more
- Stephen Jago on Lingerie football: is it sexist? No it is not sexist. They do play hard and my 16 year old son loves watching it lol. :-) more
- Keith A Tudor on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? I trust Mr Abbott will set up a high powered public inquiry with a view to abolishing the hopeless CSIRO and creation of a ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Home shot at 3 times in 18 months? What no mention of the Middle Eastern Crime Squad? more
- Jonathon L Benson on ICAC: Chris Hartcher quits energy This, in my professional view, is the beginning of the end of the utterly hopeless O'Farrell government in NSW. Just ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Aussie students are falling behind? @Lis posting here - you are absolutely correct. I clearly recall a joker in the 1990's who was knocked back for entry into ... more
- Samuel J on Backflip on backflip over Gonski? @Craig - absolutely correct. The abject, disgraceful rotten mess that Gillard and Rudd the Dudd left the new Coalition ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Aussie students are falling behind? This reported outcome says a lot in regard to policies and practice pertaining to teacher selection, education, training and ... more
- James W on Aussie students are falling behind? A child's most important teacher/s are it's parents. more
- Jester4212 on Cyclists need you to leave a metre? @Bikinis. Riding against the traffic is without a doubt the worst idea and will definitely contribute to more fatalities. ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Aussie students are falling behind? Another fine mess Australian kids are in! more
- Liz on Aussie students are falling behind? Our sub-standard teaching workforce is damaging the future of this country. A large number of teachers are inarticulate, ... more
- Amy on Aussie students are falling behind? If the teacher can not use a red pen to mark their work because it is too confrontational and they can never be FAILED and ... more
- Peter on Aussie students are falling behind? Doesn't matter how much money you throw at the education system! The student will only be as good as the teacher,teaching ... more
- Jester4212 on Handbook for men on women? This book sounds disgustingly stereotypical for both sexes. I really don't think this lady has a clue. more
- peter on Paul Hogan our Aussie Icon thanks to this natural person I started to find out my rights as an Australian more
- Craig on Backflip on backflip over Gonski? Labor projected this "they" never budgeted this it was in forward estimates and they could not see what was happening next ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Cyclists need you to leave a metre? During daylight hours cyclists should ride towards the oncoming traffic to see what is coming at them, they aren't even ... more
Thomson arrested by fraud squad
Breaking News: Federal MP Craig Thomson has been arrested at his electoral office. Members of the NSW fraud squad on Thursday executed an arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and Extortion Squad.
The embattled MP faces 150 charges of fraud after being arrested by police on the state's Central Coast over the Health Services Union scandal.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Independent MP Craig Thomson is maintaining his innocence after being charged with fraud relating to his time as an offical at the Health Services Union.
He's been granted conditional bail this afternoon to front court in Melbourne next week.
He faces 149 charges that weren't tabled in court today due to a printing error.
Mr Thomson says he's sure he'll be cleared.
Meantime, the Thomson saga has come back to haunt Prime Minister Julia Gillard on her newly-announced election campaign as Federal Political Reporter Francis Keany reports.
Disgraced former Labor MP Craig Thomson will face court in Melbourne next month on fraud charges relating to his time as an official at the Health Services Union.
Mr Thomson has represented himself at Wyong Local Court on the state's Central Coast - after being arrested this afternoon.
Jason Morrison speak with Michael Smith, the former 2UE broadcaster who initially started the ball rolling on the story that is now before the courts.
The lawyer for embattled Independent MP Craig Thomson has accused authorities of being 'heavy-handed' after his client was arrested and charged with fraud.
Mr Thomson is out on bail but will face a Melbourne Court on a raft of offences relating to his time as a union official.
But his lawyer Chris McArdle says his client faces only trivial offences. He has labeled two prison guards as 'goons', as he tells Dicko & Sarah Mr Thomson is feeling dreadful after his arrest and subsequent court appearance yesterday.
Police Minister Mike Gallacher says if Craig Thomson believes officers were "heavy handed" during his arrest - than the embattled Federal M-P should make a formal complaint.
Mr Thomson's lawyer says his client was arrested by five police before being stripped searched by prison officers in an attempt to intimidate him.
But Mr Gallacher says he's yet to receive a complaint.
The state's prisons boss says a "strip-search" of Federal MP Craig Thomson during his arrest was not designed to intimidate him.
Corrective Services Commissioner Peter Severin is rejecting claims his officers acted like "goons" when strip searching Craig Thomson yesterday following his arrest.
Thomson's lawyer has lashed out at the officers for the way they treated his client after picking him up at his Central Coast Office to face union fraud charges.
Peter Severin has told Paul Murray his officers did nothing wrong.
In October last year police raided Mr Thomson's Bateau Bay home as well as his electoral office.
They took away large boxes of material.
Mr Thomson was national secretary of the HSU from 2002 until 2007 when he was elected to Parliament. Earlier last year he was suspended from the ALP and has been sitting as an independent in parliament since that time.
Mr Thomson will be taken to the local police station where he will be charged with a multitude of fraud-related offences.
His expected to appear in Tuggerah court later today in order to apply for bail. Mr Thomson has continued to maintain his innocence. He is also facing civil proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia relating to allegations that he improperly used union funds for his own benefit.
Kate McClymont via SMH
Statement from Victoria Police:New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
Statement from NSW Police:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
NO James W. The 'Peter principle' in management professes a key word, son - it is 'incompetence' not competence - because they have none! Moreover, they can tend to rise way above their level of incompetence - they do not have competence to begin with clown! You are as thick as two naval bollards, son! Little wonder you are a diehard labor party supporter.Jonathon L Benson Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 7:29 AM
Actually James, you are probably right in one aspect; that being that we, as individuals, don't have wherewithall to fully contest your statements. We don't have the power of Labor's "spin machine" behind us for research; and probably your expertise in distorting the truth. However, if you go back on your posts, you will find that many (most??) of yours repeat the same details and you are starting to sound like a cracked record. In this, can I remind you that neither you, nor your "alter-ego" have denied being the one person, nor have you denied being "attack puppies of Labor's spin dept". Also, for the sake of record, I am a private individual and am not posting on behalf of any political party.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:08 PM
mick, are you for real? mick logic ... at it's finest(funnier than mickonomics - yeah I couldn't believe that was possible either) .. "Of course none of us can ever ref(r)ute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that". In that case mick, even an 'intellectual giant' of your stature, should be able to counter my claims.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 1:18 PM
Embattled Craig and Juliarr vigorously claim their innocence? Well if it was me in their position. I would be tested by a fool-proof lie detector machine by the FBI. That would clearly settle their matter very quickly???www.toomanyaborted.com Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:10 PM
Of course none of us can ever refrute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that. James W you simpleton. Rotten just like the rest of labor, even thier own MPs are circling while the pet wackos are deserting HMMESS Labor Garbage Barge.mick Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:48 AM
Maybe I don't support everything OUR government propose, David T. The likes of mick, hollow drums (mick's term), would like to shut up those who don't agree with their point of view, probably because they don't have the where with all to argue their case.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:02 AM