- Danes to celebrate Opera House 40th
- Sydney bus stop basher on parole
- Melissa Doyle to leave Sunrise
- Chaos: Latham on a return to Rudd
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- Street names that bring a giggle
- 2nd Sydney airport Badgery's Creek?
- Young boys boxing, at 11?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- CARMEN on Let down by the justice system? Yusuf...PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE AN IDIOT....Sharia Law ONLY BELONGS TO THE MUSLIMS AND HAS NO PLACE WHATSOEVER IN ... more
- CARMEN on Chaos: Latham on a return to Rudd In this instance, I wholeheartedly AGREE WITH MARK LATHAM...After all that was said by his fellow colleagues at the time of ... more
- Kimber on Benefit cards for dole recipients? Yes, absolutely, definitely, no question, if these people are willing to rely on the taxpayer funding their existence then ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on Young boys boxing, at 11? Obviously looking for trouble, copping direct hard hits to the head is clearly not healthy and very dangerous. There would ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on Benefit cards for dole recipients? This is absolutely essential, it is plainly common sense! Why has it not already been done?? What have all the movers & ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on James Gandolfini dead at 51 Only 51, that is a bit sobering! I wonder whether it was all worth it? Death comes like a thief in the night! There is ... more
- Peter on Benefit cards for dole recipients? Looking at the dregs of humanity that were against any type of card on ACA last night gives more credence to it being ... more
- yusuf on Let down by the justice system? Surprise surprise, Carmen is opting for Shariah law.Sorry Carmen you cant have it both ways.It is really sad how our so ... more
- Peter on 2nd Sydney airport Badgery's Creek? Get over it, we have a very good airport that is under utilised and all that stopping it being used to its fullest potential ... more
- WWW.ABORTIONTRUTH.COM on Street names that bring a giggle Paul, sadly under the racist phobic, Labor government! We have become a very stupid, divided nation! No longer a smart ... more
- Elizabeth Passaro on Let down by the justice system? Bring back the death sentance. For all rapists, serial murderers & child sex affenders. I've always said. The law is only ... more
- CARMEN on Why are Catholic schools booming? Terence....More spew is pouring out of your mouth....You hopeless "NINCOMPOOPS"...A MAN WHO HOLDS ZERO PRINCIPLES...Perhaps ... more
- CARMEN on Benefit cards for dole recipients? ABSOLUTELY A BIG YES.....Dole recipients should only be getting the taxpayer funded monies FOR A SHORT TIME.....Every effort ... more
- CARMEN on Let down by the justice system? Capital punishment should be re-introduced.....NOBODY SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING'S LIFE AWAY UNDER ... more
- Zoran Grujic on Police set higher fine quotas? When will premier start to fix our hospitals what he promised before election more
- Angela Coombes on Police set higher fine quotas? @Jeff posting here I fully agree. O'Farrell and Co are a big deceitful let down of those of us who voted for Liberals. He is ... more
- Samuel J Kyrikos on Police set higher fine quotas? I agree abortionTruth. What is needed is more unmarked police cars to reign in those dangerous mugs tear arsing around in ... more
- The Real Problem on Police set higher fine quotas? There is nearly always a solution to every problem. Provided we dont allow the problem to grow to the point where it ... more
- James W on Let down by the justice system? Jill, her family and friends were let down by the Justice System well before sentencing. The lesson here is to look out for ... more
- Terrence on Time to lift drinking age to 21? The right-wing loonies consider prohibition, intolerance of crime, and harsh punishments as behaviour associated with ... more
Thomson arrested by fraud squad
Breaking News: Federal MP Craig Thomson has been arrested at his electoral office. Members of the NSW fraud squad on Thursday executed an arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and Extortion Squad.
The embattled MP faces 150 charges of fraud after being arrested by police on the state's Central Coast over the Health Services Union scandal.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Independent MP Craig Thomson is maintaining his innocence after being charged with fraud relating to his time as an offical at the Health Services Union.
He's been granted conditional bail this afternoon to front court in Melbourne next week.
He faces 149 charges that weren't tabled in court today due to a printing error.
Mr Thomson says he's sure he'll be cleared.
Meantime, the Thomson saga has come back to haunt Prime Minister Julia Gillard on her newly-announced election campaign as Federal Political Reporter Francis Keany reports.
Disgraced former Labor MP Craig Thomson will face court in Melbourne next month on fraud charges relating to his time as an official at the Health Services Union.
Mr Thomson has represented himself at Wyong Local Court on the state's Central Coast - after being arrested this afternoon.
Jason Morrison speak with Michael Smith, the former 2UE broadcaster who initially started the ball rolling on the story that is now before the courts.
The lawyer for embattled Independent MP Craig Thomson has accused authorities of being 'heavy-handed' after his client was arrested and charged with fraud.
Mr Thomson is out on bail but will face a Melbourne Court on a raft of offences relating to his time as a union official.
But his lawyer Chris McArdle says his client faces only trivial offences. He has labeled two prison guards as 'goons', as he tells Dicko & Sarah Mr Thomson is feeling dreadful after his arrest and subsequent court appearance yesterday.
Police Minister Mike Gallacher says if Craig Thomson believes officers were "heavy handed" during his arrest - than the embattled Federal M-P should make a formal complaint.
Mr Thomson's lawyer says his client was arrested by five police before being stripped searched by prison officers in an attempt to intimidate him.
But Mr Gallacher says he's yet to receive a complaint.
The state's prisons boss says a "strip-search" of Federal MP Craig Thomson during his arrest was not designed to intimidate him.
Corrective Services Commissioner Peter Severin is rejecting claims his officers acted like "goons" when strip searching Craig Thomson yesterday following his arrest.
Thomson's lawyer has lashed out at the officers for the way they treated his client after picking him up at his Central Coast Office to face union fraud charges.
Peter Severin has told Paul Murray his officers did nothing wrong.
In October last year police raided Mr Thomson's Bateau Bay home as well as his electoral office.
They took away large boxes of material.
Mr Thomson was national secretary of the HSU from 2002 until 2007 when he was elected to Parliament. Earlier last year he was suspended from the ALP and has been sitting as an independent in parliament since that time.
Mr Thomson will be taken to the local police station where he will be charged with a multitude of fraud-related offences.
His expected to appear in Tuggerah court later today in order to apply for bail. Mr Thomson has continued to maintain his innocence. He is also facing civil proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia relating to allegations that he improperly used union funds for his own benefit.
Kate McClymont via SMH
Statement from Victoria Police:New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
Statement from NSW Police:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
NO James W. The 'Peter principle' in management professes a key word, son - it is 'incompetence' not competence - because they have none! Moreover, they can tend to rise way above their level of incompetence - they do not have competence to begin with clown! You are as thick as two naval bollards, son! Little wonder you are a diehard labor party supporter.Jonathon L Benson Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 7:29 AM
Actually James, you are probably right in one aspect; that being that we, as individuals, don't have wherewithall to fully contest your statements. We don't have the power of Labor's "spin machine" behind us for research; and probably your expertise in distorting the truth. However, if you go back on your posts, you will find that many (most??) of yours repeat the same details and you are starting to sound like a cracked record. In this, can I remind you that neither you, nor your "alter-ego" have denied being the one person, nor have you denied being "attack puppies of Labor's spin dept". Also, for the sake of record, I am a private individual and am not posting on behalf of any political party.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:08 PM
mick, are you for real? mick logic ... at it's finest(funnier than mickonomics - yeah I couldn't believe that was possible either) .. "Of course none of us can ever ref(r)ute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that". In that case mick, even an 'intellectual giant' of your stature, should be able to counter my claims.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 1:18 PM
Embattled Craig and Juliarr vigorously claim their innocence? Well if it was me in their position. I would be tested by a fool-proof lie detector machine by the FBI. That would clearly settle their matter very quickly???www.toomanyaborted.com Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:10 PM
Of course none of us can ever refrute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that. James W you simpleton. Rotten just like the rest of labor, even thier own MPs are circling while the pet wackos are deserting HMMESS Labor Garbage Barge.mick Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:48 AM
Maybe I don't support everything OUR government propose, David T. The likes of mick, hollow drums (mick's term), would like to shut up those who don't agree with their point of view, probably because they don't have the where with all to argue their case.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:02 AM