- Women still face work discrimination
- Do we all have psychic connections?
- Home lost to real estate fraudsters
- A week of horror over flight MH17
- Time for serious debate on euthanasia
- Bus crash kills one injures dozens
- Sydney median house price: $800,000
- Treatment for back pain a placebo
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Samuel J James on MH17: the long journey home @Kimber - well said indeed. And Vladimar Putin, the KGB thug and temporary President of Russia has given as much help to the ... more
- Samuel J on MH17: Putin behind the attack? It can be assumed that Putin, the KGB thug is imitating one of his equal coward and former President of the Soviet Union, ... more
- Samuel J on A week of horror over flight MH17 Putin, the KGB thug is convicted in absentia - Please God. more
- stevo on Time for serious debate on euthanasia Legalise Euthanasia for those with 6 months to live if doctors and family want.My dad asked to be given and injection as he ... more
- Cleangirl on Bus crash kills one injures dozens Get bicycles OUT of bus lanes for a start. more
- Samuel J on Medicinal cannabis for terminally ill The do-gooders will probably get their way with this and it will be sadly regected. We have no leadership here in nsw so let ... more
- Samuel J on MH17: the long journey home @Kimber - well said. The victims even after death did not receive any dignity at all from the Russian and Ukraine ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Why do we need childcare subsidies @Greg O - you are absolutely correct. It is this 'gimmie, gimmie' nonsense and nanny State mentality that is thoroughly ... more
- Kimber on MH17: the long journey home A heartfelt thank you to the Netherlands in appreciation for finally giving some dignity to the victims of flight MH17. more
- Craig on MH17: Putin behind the attack? If America has proof why have they not shown it? The Ukraine air traffic control tapes have been confiscated by the State ... more
- Greta on New Times for Weekend Shows Fantastic to hear Tim coming on earlier - love his show, has interesting segments, would love to hear more of the gardening ... more
- Craig on MH17: Putin behind the attack? @Shot down, You would also believe pigs fly.There is a lot more to this, have you seen Russia's reply yesterday? Radar of ... more
- Angela Coombes on Is Senator Jacqui Lambie for real? I don't feel sorry for her at all. Apart from her big mouth which shoots off without thinking first this galloot is ... more
- Keith A Tudor on MH17: Putin behind the attack? I firmly believe the utterly expensive anti-aircraft missile fired at Malaysian Airlines Passenger Jet MH17 and which ... more
- Samuel J on Sydney suffering too many councils @Angry Ratepayer - I agree. Councils' charter needs to be redrawn and be in simple terms to cut out this continuous ... more
- G. Parker on Jacqui Lambie 'an everyday person' This woman is a disgrace... she isn't talking to the ladies at the local RSL club, but AUSTRALIA! How can someone with this ... more
- Sheila Freeman on Is Senator Jacqui Lambie for real? Now where is Tania and the rest of the Labour party who are always ready to criticise the Libs - totally inappropriate ... more
- NOT A GOOD LOOK... on The Whisper: lineup to be a Knight? How hypocritical and pretentious is that staunch republican ex-Governor General, Ms. Quentin Bryce. She jumped at Tony ... more
- WAKE UP AUSTRALIA on PUP MPs stripping away pollie spin Our moronic politicians get shabbier everyday, they obviously have no class. This is clearly a recipe for disaster! more
- 1959 GRANGE... on Medicinal cannabis for terminally ill Obviously dying, suffering people with cancer urgently need medicinal cannabis and our constant support! In America they ... more
Thomson arrested by fraud squad
Breaking News: Federal MP Craig Thomson has been arrested at his electoral office. Members of the NSW fraud squad on Thursday executed an arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and Extortion Squad.
The embattled MP faces 150 charges of fraud after being arrested by police on the state's Central Coast over the Health Services Union scandal.
Stay up to date on breaking news with 2UE on Twitter
Independent MP Craig Thomson is maintaining his innocence after being charged with fraud relating to his time as an offical at the Health Services Union.
He's been granted conditional bail this afternoon to front court in Melbourne next week.
He faces 149 charges that weren't tabled in court today due to a printing error.
Mr Thomson says he's sure he'll be cleared.
Meantime, the Thomson saga has come back to haunt Prime Minister Julia Gillard on her newly-announced election campaign as Federal Political Reporter Francis Keany reports.
Disgraced former Labor MP Craig Thomson will face court in Melbourne next month on fraud charges relating to his time as an official at the Health Services Union.
Mr Thomson has represented himself at Wyong Local Court on the state's Central Coast - after being arrested this afternoon.
Jason Morrison speak with Michael Smith, the former 2UE broadcaster who initially started the ball rolling on the story that is now before the courts.
The lawyer for embattled Independent MP Craig Thomson has accused authorities of being 'heavy-handed' after his client was arrested and charged with fraud.
Mr Thomson is out on bail but will face a Melbourne Court on a raft of offences relating to his time as a union official.
But his lawyer Chris McArdle says his client faces only trivial offences. He has labeled two prison guards as 'goons', as he tells Dicko & Sarah Mr Thomson is feeling dreadful after his arrest and subsequent court appearance yesterday.
Police Minister Mike Gallacher says if Craig Thomson believes officers were "heavy handed" during his arrest - than the embattled Federal M-P should make a formal complaint.
Mr Thomson's lawyer says his client was arrested by five police before being stripped searched by prison officers in an attempt to intimidate him.
But Mr Gallacher says he's yet to receive a complaint.
The state's prisons boss says a "strip-search" of Federal MP Craig Thomson during his arrest was not designed to intimidate him.
Corrective Services Commissioner Peter Severin is rejecting claims his officers acted like "goons" when strip searching Craig Thomson yesterday following his arrest.
Thomson's lawyer has lashed out at the officers for the way they treated his client after picking him up at his Central Coast Office to face union fraud charges.
Peter Severin has told Paul Murray his officers did nothing wrong.
In October last year police raided Mr Thomson's Bateau Bay home as well as his electoral office.
They took away large boxes of material.
Mr Thomson was national secretary of the HSU from 2002 until 2007 when he was elected to Parliament. Earlier last year he was suspended from the ALP and has been sitting as an independent in parliament since that time.
Mr Thomson will be taken to the local police station where he will be charged with a multitude of fraud-related offences.
His expected to appear in Tuggerah court later today in order to apply for bail. Mr Thomson has continued to maintain his innocence. He is also facing civil proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia relating to allegations that he improperly used union funds for his own benefit.
Kate McClymont via SMH
Statement from Victoria Police:New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
Statement from NSW Police:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
NO James W. The 'Peter principle' in management professes a key word, son - it is 'incompetence' not competence - because they have none! Moreover, they can tend to rise way above their level of incompetence - they do not have competence to begin with clown! You are as thick as two naval bollards, son! Little wonder you are a diehard labor party supporter.Jonathon L Benson Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 7:29 AM
Actually James, you are probably right in one aspect; that being that we, as individuals, don't have wherewithall to fully contest your statements. We don't have the power of Labor's "spin machine" behind us for research; and probably your expertise in distorting the truth. However, if you go back on your posts, you will find that many (most??) of yours repeat the same details and you are starting to sound like a cracked record. In this, can I remind you that neither you, nor your "alter-ego" have denied being the one person, nor have you denied being "attack puppies of Labor's spin dept". Also, for the sake of record, I am a private individual and am not posting on behalf of any political party.David T. Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:08 PM
mick, are you for real? mick logic ... at it's finest(funnier than mickonomics - yeah I couldn't believe that was possible either) .. "Of course none of us can ever ref(r)ute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that". In that case mick, even an 'intellectual giant' of your stature, should be able to counter my claims.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 1:18 PM
Embattled Craig and Juliarr vigorously claim their innocence? Well if it was me in their position. I would be tested by a fool-proof lie detector machine by the FBI. That would clearly settle their matter very quickly???www.toomanyaborted.com Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 12:10 PM
Of course none of us can ever refrute your so called facts because they are not facts, simple as that. James W you simpleton. Rotten just like the rest of labor, even thier own MPs are circling while the pet wackos are deserting HMMESS Labor Garbage Barge.mick Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:48 AM
Maybe I don't support everything OUR government propose, David T. The likes of mick, hollow drums (mick's term), would like to shut up those who don't agree with their point of view, probably because they don't have the where with all to argue their case.James W Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 8:02 AM