- Palmer moves on from Lambie
- Sydney kids now addicted to meth?
- The Queen will not abdicate the throne
- Countdown trial for pedestrians
- Schoolies no worse this year?
- Amphetamine use on the increase
- Who will win big at ARIAS 2014
- Uber: the answer to Sydney cab rides?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kylie Kelly on Baby found in Quakers Hill drain This will put the pro-abortionists into a frenzy. See how all life is precious, not just the politicians' lives, who ... more
- Julie on Halal certification funding terrorists? I used to shop at a Halal shop selling fruit, veg & meat in Canberra. This changed 2 months ago, when they started ... more
- Tony on Halal certification funding terrorists? Halal certification is one of the biggest con jobs out there at the moment. Think about it! Big companies and little ... more
- Craig on Can you trust a politician's promise? No you can't trust them,the mainstream parties are just 2 gangs that have their ideologies foremost in their minds. What ... more
- Glynn on Can you trust a politician's promise? An incoming government, no matter what promises were made during an election campaign has the authority and responsibility ... more
- Greg O on Can you trust a politician's promise? Politicians are just a product of the people. They want to get elected so in order to have a chance they have to say the ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Can you trust a politician's promise? You can trust that dancing, cigar smoking, treasurer, that "heavy lifting" big Joe Hockey, as far as you can throw him... more
- STEADY EDDIE... on Eddie Obeid set to face court Steady Eddie reckoned "Jesus told me to do it"? Well done eddie...I wonder whether mystic eddie will be sworn in on the Holy ... more
- Julie on Would you prefer to vote online In Canberra we already have electronic voting for ACT Elections. After allegations of electoral fraud in the last election, ... more
- Cleangirl on SBS want more commercials? SBS and the ABC should not be receiving any taxpayer funding till they stop the Left-wing, Political Correctness and ... more
- Craig on China free trade will raise prices All these "free" trade agreements do not always work in your favour. Going back to the original "Lima"document signed by the ... more
- EVEN MORE LIES... on China free trade will raise prices Wages are rapidly going up in china and imported chinese made goods are rising, already expensive here and millions of our ... more
- Cleangirl on $250m better spent on hospitals? If they can pay players extraordinary amounts of money, they can pay for the upgrade. Tax is for roads, hospitals, public ... more
- Kimber on Sydney brothers off to fight with IS IS are a pathetic disgrace to humanity, all they do is murder other Muslims and abduct and slaughter aid workers who carry ... more
- Robert on Free Trade: will we all benefit So called 'free trade' is a device to allow foreign multinationals to come into a country and consolidate power for the ... more
- Kimber on Qantas goes 70's retro on aircraft Love it, goes to show that some things can go back to the 'good old days'. :) more
- Tony on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Obama going about with his usual dog and pony show to a bunch of gullible morons. Obama is hated in his own country but ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Prime Minister Tony Abbott should of informed the US President Barack Hussein Obama that the planet has been cooling for the ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Free Trade: will we all benefit Evidently, a select few at the top of the heap are greatly $benefiting from so called "free trade"? Australia used to be a ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Another nonsense raised by Obama about so called climate change. Evidently, Rudd and/or Gillard have been in his ear at the ... more
Travellers to be hit with levy
A parliamentary report has found that Australia's diplomats are suffering from a 10-year period of chronic underfunding.
As a result, it has been suggested that Australians should pay a travel levy for foreign trips and higher fees for passports to offset the costs of helping travellers who get into strife overseas.
According to the report, the burden of consular support for Australians in trouble overseas is limiting the ability of diplomats to properly represent Australia.
The Foreign Affairs Department assisted around 14,500 Australians in difficulty overseas last year, including several hundred who were arrested and more than 300 who received emergency loans from the taxpayer.
Stuart Bocking spoke with Nick Champion, Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman and Labor MP about the issue. Nick Champion said that the levy could be in the region of $3 - $10.
@Liar, the record you are playing is broken and is now sounding hollow. Even your leader Phony Abbott has given up opposing carbon pricing because he realises there are no votes in it. He also knows if God forbid he wins the election there is not much he could do about it except tinker at the edges; maybe give it a different name. But this is not the first time he has changed his position. Remember he is the one who had said in June 2009 when he was opposing Rudd's ETS and favouring a carbon tax: "If you want to put a price on carbon why not do it with a simple tax? Why not get motorists to pay more? Why not get electricity consumers to pay more." Google it! and hear from the pony's ooops Phony's own mouth!Terrence Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 4:57 PM
Watch the money go into consolidated revenue and finish up just another way of helping Swan to balance his budget. Another shifty Labor/Green move.David T. Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 3:52 PM
BnB, the Departure Tax is a tax levied on all persons over 12yrs of age, who depart from Australia. The money goes into consolidated revenue and goes toward paying our bills, just like all the other federal taxes.James W Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:18 PM
lets get fair dikkum and start spendind money on us our own then think about who is around usgerald Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:53 AM
@Well said Stan; this corrupt bullying Labor government will soon be taxing us for breathing air and thats not Labor Juliar Gillard "hyperbol"!! Labor's disgusting fraudulent carbon dioxide-global warming tax is badly hurting the already taxed-out nation, causing very high electricity prices, plainly evil and disgusting, but some brain-dead people still somehow vote Labor? I really don't know how these Labor scumbags sleep at night, these Labor atheists clearly have no conscience. N.B. Just look at Labor's typical revered heros, like disgusting Michael Williamson and Craig Thomson!! What a mess...Juliar Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:46 AM
@$%! me, when does it stop. Control your budgets and give us poverty packers half a chance at having a life.Keep squeezing the stone you "fat pigs" with your noses in the trough, bleed every cent you can out of us.Craig Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:45 AM