- Ian Roberts: the effects of concussion
- Search for mystery flight MH370
- Mark Bosnich on his career at the net
- Hotseat: OK to profit off WWI?
- Aussies to zap space junk with lasers?
- Vivid Sydney set to be biggest yet!
- Making TV soapies in a war zone?
- Buy local: vote with your wallet
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David Hoffman on Is terrorism behind missing plane? I am looking at this event through the lens of being a lifelong student of human behaviour. I know enough to believe that, ... more
- Gary on Too late to stop climate change now? I simply let the facts talk to me and as Garry Linnell stated it was warmer 27 years ago. So where is the evidence of ... more
- helen on Scrap the My School website? Hello Angela, have just read Peter 'Fitz' remarks re your morning show. Agree! you are a delight to tune into each ... more
- David T. on Do we still need a Women's Day? In my experience, every day is Women's Day. more
- David T. on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? How "bloody" stupid. Government, stay out of our lives. more
- David T. on Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali Break another country's laws and you can expect to be treated according to their law. I have no sympathy for thede ... more
- Rod M on Schapelle: Journos deported from Bali To me it seems very clear why journos are being booted out of Bali. Their courts expect people to abide by the spirit and ... more
- Mary on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? What a waste of the tax payers money, why not give it to hospitals... they need it more. more
- Kimber on Scrap the My School website? Well said @Coasty!!! :) more
- Kimber on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? OMG, pay people to lose weight, pay people to quit smoking, now this.From the time kids can eat solid food fruit and ... more
- Jester4212 on Pay kids to eat their vegetables? Why why why must the govenrment become involved?! Even for parents to pay their children to do this is unbelieveable. They ... more
- Coasty on Scrap the My School website? Ridiculous. I'm now finding the teaching industry has gotten hysterical & political. The My Schools website was one of the ... more
- Jester4212 on A pizza stuffed with cheeseburgers? I can't believe what I'm watching. Disgusting. more
- William Coleman on Drugs & alcohol affecting our schools The classroom today is yesterdays psychiatric ward. more
- William Coleman on Chinese buying up Sydney housing? So the big money comes to oz and home prices soar .Meanwhile we buy products from Asian countries because it is so cheap due ... more
- Jester4212 on Should we pay people to lose weight? Cold hard cash is a complete cop-out, just like the baby bonus. I'm all for wanting to help these people out. But have ... more
- Greg O on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Of course Kevin will stop the war and I have no doubt he will also help the Russians tackle global warming by putting pink ... more
- Coasty on Sydney's outbreak of ablutophobia No-one minds backpackers. They're great. I was one & I want my kids to do it. The problem here, is one that's all too ... more
- Cleangirl on Kevin will stop second Crimean war? Kevin ? Twins sharing the same name. Why is he allowed in with the U.N ? Why do we even financially support both Kevin and ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on What frustrates you on our trains? What frustrates you on our trains?That they refuse to supply a mobile number so that we can give them live updates of ... more
Travellers to be hit with levy
A parliamentary report has found that Australia's diplomats are suffering from a 10-year period of chronic underfunding.
As a result, it has been suggested that Australians should pay a travel levy for foreign trips and higher fees for passports to offset the costs of helping travellers who get into strife overseas.
According to the report, the burden of consular support for Australians in trouble overseas is limiting the ability of diplomats to properly represent Australia.
The Foreign Affairs Department assisted around 14,500 Australians in difficulty overseas last year, including several hundred who were arrested and more than 300 who received emergency loans from the taxpayer.
Stuart Bocking spoke with Nick Champion, Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman and Labor MP about the issue. Nick Champion said that the levy could be in the region of $3 - $10.
@Liar, the record you are playing is broken and is now sounding hollow. Even your leader Phony Abbott has given up opposing carbon pricing because he realises there are no votes in it. He also knows if God forbid he wins the election there is not much he could do about it except tinker at the edges; maybe give it a different name. But this is not the first time he has changed his position. Remember he is the one who had said in June 2009 when he was opposing Rudd's ETS and favouring a carbon tax: "If you want to put a price on carbon why not do it with a simple tax? Why not get motorists to pay more? Why not get electricity consumers to pay more." Google it! and hear from the pony's ooops Phony's own mouth!Terrence Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 4:57 PM
Watch the money go into consolidated revenue and finish up just another way of helping Swan to balance his budget. Another shifty Labor/Green move.David T. Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 3:52 PM
BnB, the Departure Tax is a tax levied on all persons over 12yrs of age, who depart from Australia. The money goes into consolidated revenue and goes toward paying our bills, just like all the other federal taxes.James W Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:18 PM
lets get fair dikkum and start spendind money on us our own then think about who is around usgerald Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:53 AM
@Well said Stan; this corrupt bullying Labor government will soon be taxing us for breathing air and thats not Labor Juliar Gillard "hyperbol"!! Labor's disgusting fraudulent carbon dioxide-global warming tax is badly hurting the already taxed-out nation, causing very high electricity prices, plainly evil and disgusting, but some brain-dead people still somehow vote Labor? I really don't know how these Labor scumbags sleep at night, these Labor atheists clearly have no conscience. N.B. Just look at Labor's typical revered heros, like disgusting Michael Williamson and Craig Thomson!! What a mess...Juliar Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:46 AM
@$%! me, when does it stop. Control your budgets and give us poverty packers half a chance at having a life.Keep squeezing the stone you "fat pigs" with your noses in the trough, bleed every cent you can out of us.Craig Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:45 AM