- Tradies charge by Sydney suburb?
- Ice: the 'worst of the worst' drugs
- Damning report into insulation scheme
- Sydney's 5th season, Sprinter?
- Proposal with a $1million donation
- Terror threat: alert not alarmed?
- Standard starting age at schools
- What's the future for Qantas?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- John Harvey on Stopping fighters heading overseas let them go just do not let them back into the country more
- Cleangirl on Extremists the enemy of Islam Extreme Islam or mediocre Islam ? Look at all the Islamic nations, extreme overrides mediocrity every time. more
- Keith A Tudor on Stopping fighters heading overseas @Tony - excellent comment. I support that including confiscation of their passports as well as their assets forfeited to the ... more
- Citizen Slain on War looming in the Middle East We would all very much like to believe in the integrity and decency of modern government however the reality is very ... more
- Peter Ulmer on My religion needs fixing? Glen Mohammed is impressive as you say. Sadly he is one voice in what appears to be a minority view within his community. I ... more
- James W on Hawke-Keating: who was better PM? Does it matter? What is clear is that they were both better than the current one. more
- Tony on Stopping fighters heading overseas Why the hell stop them? If they want to go and fight and die in some desert cesspool then let them. How about we encourage ... more
- Cleangirl on "Fat" Clive Palmer is fair game? Fat is the new smoker. more
- Cleangirl on How to stop youth going jihadist? Islam seems to cost us big time, will we ever get any benefit, or is this money insurance ? more
- James W on Cardinal Pell just doesn't get it? Cleangirl, are you saying that nearly all of those found guilty of sex offences against children, don't go to jail? more
- fabrizio on Parents at forefront of terror war? Most mulsims not terrorists and have spoken up against it.Just like most catholics are not child abusers. more
- Join the Q Society on Opal Card: lengthy commuter delays? Oh well, back to the car, no delays there, LOL. more
- Tejas on Labor's broken promises generation So many books have been written about Labor recently, add this one to the list.Indeed, their demise from controlling all ... more
- Greg O on Baird polls on the rise I am not surprised. This shows the people of NSW are at last starting to think. If the corruption scandals involving the ... more
- Luigi T Cassimatis on Cyclists party to contest next election We need them in there like we need a bike seat up our backside. Dear oh dear it gets worse day by day with these creeps and ... more
- Gary on Opal Card: lengthy commuter delays? My wife and I used our Opal cards on the weekend. Not one problem, worked faultlessly, best thing ever for public ... more
- Ben on Opal Card: lengthy commuter delays? 1) Opal cards must become anonymous as promised and not delivered.2) Opal card system has to be fixed so that one does not ... more
- Samuel J James on Baird polls on the rise @Paulo - there is no other political party with the necessary credentials, the integrity, perspicacity or the skills needed ... more
- paulo on Baird polls on the rise Time to throw liberals out of NSW and try others. more
- fabio on Cardinal Pell just doesn't get it? Catholic church in the West is almost irrelevant and hypocritical .No lectures from them. more
Travellers to be hit with levy
A parliamentary report has found that Australia's diplomats are suffering from a 10-year period of chronic underfunding.
As a result, it has been suggested that Australians should pay a travel levy for foreign trips and higher fees for passports to offset the costs of helping travellers who get into strife overseas.
According to the report, the burden of consular support for Australians in trouble overseas is limiting the ability of diplomats to properly represent Australia.
The Foreign Affairs Department assisted around 14,500 Australians in difficulty overseas last year, including several hundred who were arrested and more than 300 who received emergency loans from the taxpayer.
Stuart Bocking spoke with Nick Champion, Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman and Labor MP about the issue. Nick Champion said that the levy could be in the region of $3 - $10.
@Liar, the record you are playing is broken and is now sounding hollow. Even your leader Phony Abbott has given up opposing carbon pricing because he realises there are no votes in it. He also knows if God forbid he wins the election there is not much he could do about it except tinker at the edges; maybe give it a different name. But this is not the first time he has changed his position. Remember he is the one who had said in June 2009 when he was opposing Rudd's ETS and favouring a carbon tax: "If you want to put a price on carbon why not do it with a simple tax? Why not get motorists to pay more? Why not get electricity consumers to pay more." Google it! and hear from the pony's ooops Phony's own mouth!Terrence Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 4:57 PM
Watch the money go into consolidated revenue and finish up just another way of helping Swan to balance his budget. Another shifty Labor/Green move.David T. Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 3:52 PM
BnB, the Departure Tax is a tax levied on all persons over 12yrs of age, who depart from Australia. The money goes into consolidated revenue and goes toward paying our bills, just like all the other federal taxes.James W Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:18 PM
lets get fair dikkum and start spendind money on us our own then think about who is around usgerald Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:53 AM
@Well said Stan; this corrupt bullying Labor government will soon be taxing us for breathing air and thats not Labor Juliar Gillard "hyperbol"!! Labor's disgusting fraudulent carbon dioxide-global warming tax is badly hurting the already taxed-out nation, causing very high electricity prices, plainly evil and disgusting, but some brain-dead people still somehow vote Labor? I really don't know how these Labor scumbags sleep at night, these Labor atheists clearly have no conscience. N.B. Just look at Labor's typical revered heros, like disgusting Michael Williamson and Craig Thomson!! What a mess...Juliar Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:46 AM
@$%! me, when does it stop. Control your budgets and give us poverty packers half a chance at having a life.Keep squeezing the stone you "fat pigs" with your noses in the trough, bleed every cent you can out of us.Craig Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:45 AM