- Baird shows huge political courage
- Still cook to Nana's recipes?
- Guy Sebastian is back with Madness
- Halal certification funding terrorists?
- Too much lack of respect these days?
- Eddie Obeid set to face court
- Would you prefer to vote online
- Can you ever trust a politician?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Julie on Would you prefer to vote online In Canberra we already have electronic voting for ACT Elections. After allegations of electoral fraud in the last election, ... more
- Cleangirl on SBS want more commercials? SBS and the ABC should not be receiving any taxpayer funding till they stop the Left-wing, Political Correctness and ... more
- Cleangirl on $250m better spent on hospitals? If they can pay players extraordinary amounts of money, they can pay for the upgrade. Tax is for roads, hospitals, public ... more
- Kimber on Sydney brothers off to fight with IS IS are a pathetic disgrace to humanity, all they do is murder other Muslims and abduct and slaughter aid workers who carry ... more
- Robert on Free Trade: will we all benefit So called 'free trade' is a device to allow foreign multinationals to come into a country and consolidate power for the ... more
- Kimber on Qantas goes 70's retro on aircraft Love it, goes to show that some things can go back to the 'good old days'. :) more
- Tony on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Obama going about with his usual dog and pony show to a bunch of gullible morons. Obama is hated in his own country but ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Prime Minister Tony Abbott should of informed the US President Barack Hussein Obama that the planet has been cooling for the ... more
- SLOPPY JOE HOKEY-CANBERRA on Free Trade: will we all benefit Evidently, a select few at the top of the heap are greatly $benefiting from so called "free trade"? Australia used to be a ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Another nonsense raised by Obama about so called climate change. Evidently, Rudd and/or Gillard have been in his ear at the ... more
- Greg O on Obama urges Australia to "step up" I am out in my backyard at the moment and am all set to save the environment. I have a Jim's Mowing hat, Steve Irwin shirt ... more
- Samuel J on Obama urges Australia to "step up" Just more nonsense from Obama who is tarred with the same brush as our two failures, Rudd and Gillard. Money, taxes etc will ... more
- Rod on Turn back the (Russian) boats RE: Why doesn't America send four warships of theirs and place them next to Russia's?I think the answer to this (possibly ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Obama urges Australia to "step up" @President Obama - what a bloody nonsense you are on about here with this climate change rot. You have evidently been imbued ... more
- Bikinis not Burkas on Obama urges Australia to "step up" China is having big problems with Muslims, can they send 500,000 troops? more
- Vic Whiteley on Fun police end Mexican themed party What is the definition of racist?Last time I checked, the majority of Mexicans are of Spanish heritage....which means ... more
- Jester4212 on Bike smart hat answer to registration Is this the answer to more accountable cyclists? No. This will make it more dangerous for cyclists. You can guarantee ... more
- Peter on Bike smart hat answer to registration Regardless of initial 'feeling's' towards this helmet, the shape, attachment of any external 'plate' and external ... more
- Craig on Turn back the (Russian) boats @Maurice, Why?In case you have been blinded by some loyalty to America have you not noticed how many wars they start? And ... more
- Clayton on Bike smart hat answer to registration Falling off wearing that helmet would almost certainly break your neck! It would pass no standards Australia test ever! What ... more
Travellers to be hit with levy
A parliamentary report has found that Australia's diplomats are suffering from a 10-year period of chronic underfunding.
As a result, it has been suggested that Australians should pay a travel levy for foreign trips and higher fees for passports to offset the costs of helping travellers who get into strife overseas.
According to the report, the burden of consular support for Australians in trouble overseas is limiting the ability of diplomats to properly represent Australia.
The Foreign Affairs Department assisted around 14,500 Australians in difficulty overseas last year, including several hundred who were arrested and more than 300 who received emergency loans from the taxpayer.
Stuart Bocking spoke with Nick Champion, Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman and Labor MP about the issue. Nick Champion said that the levy could be in the region of $3 - $10.
@Liar, the record you are playing is broken and is now sounding hollow. Even your leader Phony Abbott has given up opposing carbon pricing because he realises there are no votes in it. He also knows if God forbid he wins the election there is not much he could do about it except tinker at the edges; maybe give it a different name. But this is not the first time he has changed his position. Remember he is the one who had said in June 2009 when he was opposing Rudd's ETS and favouring a carbon tax: "If you want to put a price on carbon why not do it with a simple tax? Why not get motorists to pay more? Why not get electricity consumers to pay more." Google it! and hear from the pony's ooops Phony's own mouth!Terrence Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 4:57 PM
Watch the money go into consolidated revenue and finish up just another way of helping Swan to balance his budget. Another shifty Labor/Green move.David T. Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 3:52 PM
BnB, the Departure Tax is a tax levied on all persons over 12yrs of age, who depart from Australia. The money goes into consolidated revenue and goes toward paying our bills, just like all the other federal taxes.James W Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:18 PM
lets get fair dikkum and start spendind money on us our own then think about who is around usgerald Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:53 AM
@Well said Stan; this corrupt bullying Labor government will soon be taxing us for breathing air and thats not Labor Juliar Gillard "hyperbol"!! Labor's disgusting fraudulent carbon dioxide-global warming tax is badly hurting the already taxed-out nation, causing very high electricity prices, plainly evil and disgusting, but some brain-dead people still somehow vote Labor? I really don't know how these Labor scumbags sleep at night, these Labor atheists clearly have no conscience. N.B. Just look at Labor's typical revered heros, like disgusting Michael Williamson and Craig Thomson!! What a mess...Juliar Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:46 AM
@$%! me, when does it stop. Control your budgets and give us poverty packers half a chance at having a life.Keep squeezing the stone you "fat pigs" with your noses in the trough, bleed every cent you can out of us.Craig Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 10:45 AM